Things to consider when organising an event

Licenses (alcohol, music, temporary event notices)

You are responsible for making sure your event complies with licensing laws.

If an event is not compliant, organisers and anyone taking part who is responsible for the offence, can be prosecuted.

You must contact the Licensing Team on 0191 424 7695 at least two months before your proposed event, to find out if you need a licence and if so, apply for one.

What you need a licence for

You need a licence for:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

Council land that is already licensed

South Tyneside Council currently licenses some parks and open spaces for entertainment purposes.

Contact the Events team at an early stage of your planning to find out if the venue you are considering is already licensed:

If the venue is not licensed, you may need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

Land or premises that is not licensed - Temporary Event Notices (TENs)

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out one of the above activities on an unlicensed premises.

You must submit your application at least 10 days before the event.

In certain circumstances, a late TEN may be considered.

Please contact the Licensing Team for advice on 0191 424 7695.

For more information see temporary events notice or alcohol, entertainment, food licences.

Music licensing

Original musical works and sound recordings are protected by copywright laws.

This gives those who create original music and make the sound recordings legal protection against unauthorised public performance, copying or broadcasting.

Public performance is virtually any performance outside the home.

If you are hiring the facility, it is your responsibility to get a license.

Certain charitable type events may be exempt.

It is strongly advised you contact the licensing agencies for guidance.

If you breach the copyright laws, you could get:

  • up to two years in prison, or
  • a fine up to £5,000

To find out more about music licensing for your event, see PPL and PRS for Music.