Money and debt advice
Financial issues can have a big impact on our health and wellbeing. There are a number of organisations in South Tyneside who offer free money and debt advice to help households manage their finances.
- The Welfare Support Service - offers free, impartial money advice to anyone over 18 living in South Tyneside.
- Citizen's Advice Bureau - employs a number of money advisers offering free money advice and have debt and benefit specialists.
- Age Concern Tyneside South - Age Concern offers information and advice on debt, benefit and money issues for people over 50 in South Tyneside.
- CMA Connect Free Help with Debt (Places of Welcome+) - offer free help with debt as well as money mentors and budget coaching.
- Groundwork - Green Doctor - offer tailored advice and useful tips to help households save money on energy bills.
- Wise Group HEAT services - Wise Group offers mentoring around changing your behaviour to improve your energy usage, and teaching on reducing and managing your bill.
- MoneyHelper (previously Money Advice Service) - a free, independent service, with lots of useful information to help customers manage their money, including borrowing money, savings and pensions and getting financial advice
- Turn 2 Us - a free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help - online, by phone and face to face through partner organisations
Do you find yourself counting the pennies each month? Well, luckily, help is at hand.
There are lots of ways you can save money in which you might not have known about.
Cut your food bills and save money
For advice about cutting out waste and saving money on your food bill, visit the lovefoodhatewaste website.
The Energy Saving Trust
The Energy Saving Trust is a non-profit organisation that provides free impartial advice tailored to suit you.
Their advice can help you save money and fight climate change by reducing carbon dioxide emissions from your home.
You can call the network of advice centres that provide free, independent and local energy saving advice to householders on 0800 512 012 or visit the Energy Saving Trust website.
Smoking, alcohol and gambling
Do you need help to quit smoking, are you concerned by your alcohol intake or affected by gambling - if so help is available:
- Stop smoking support
- Alcohol support
- Gambling advice - A range of free support and advice for people affected by gambling.
- NHS Northern Gambling clinic - A range of support for people with complex mental health conditions as well as those who may present with more risk.
- Gordon Moody Association - Residential courses and at-home counselling for adults who have problems with gambling.
- Gamblers Anonymous UK - Local support groups that use a 12-step approach to recovery.
- GamBan - A software that prevents access to gambling websites on mobile phones and tablets.