Welfare Support Service
The Welfare Support Service is the first point of contact for money advice in South Tyneside.
They provide debt, benefit and money advice on the phone, in your local area or if necessary, in your home.
The service is free, impartial and confidential.
Our team of expert advisors gives advice on debt, benefits and budgeting.
We can help if you need:
- Benefit advice
- Support with benefit applications, appeals and tribunals
- Debt advice, including bankruptcy and debt relief orders
- Advice on whether you will be better off in work
- Support with budgeting
- Help preparing for Universal Credit
- Help with the impact of the Bedroom Tax or Benefit Cap
- Support to keep your home and make the most of your money
Please bring any documents that may help staff advise you e.g. ID, proof of income and existing debt information.
The Welfare Support Service also manages the Local Welfare Provision scheme. This is the Council-run scheme which provides crisis expenses and community care support.
Find out more about Crisis support.
Who can access the service
The service is open to everyone living in South Tyneside.
How to access the service
The service is available 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday.
For more information please contact the service using the contact details below.
Phone: 0191 424 6040
Or, send us an enquiry below.
Contact the Welfare Support Service