Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)


  1. Overview
  2. Who can claim
  3. How much you will get
  4. Housing costs
  5. Independent advice
  6. Make a claim


Discretionary Housing Payments are payments made in addition to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, if we consider that additional help with housing costs is needed.  Discretionary Housing Payments are not payments of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Who can claim

The person entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit can make a claim or someone acting on behalf of the person concerned (e.g. an appointee) can also make a claim.

Each case is looked at separately. Discretionary Housing Payments provide financial help to people who:

  • Are entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Cost element and
  • Appear to need further financial assistance (in addition to the benefit or benefits to which they are entitled) in order to meet housing costs.

How much you will get

The Council will decide the amount of the payments that you are entitled to and the period for which the payments will be made.

Your entitlement to Discretionary Housing Payments will be reconsidered each time you apply in writing.

The Council is given an amount each year to spend. Once the money has been spent no further Discretionary Housing Payment can be awarded in that financial year.

Housing costs

Housing costs are your eligible rent.

The following are not included and Discretionary Housing Payments will not be paid in respect of them:

(a) Certain elements of rent:

  • Ineligible service charges
  • Water, sewerage and environmental services
  • Increase in rent due to outstanding rent arrears

Independent advice 

Welfare rights advice
South Tyneside Council
Town Hall & Civic Offices
Westoe Road
South Shields
Tyne and Wear
NE33 2RL
See:  Welfare Support Service

South Tyneside Citizens Advice Bureau
Edinburgh Buildings
2 Station Approach
South Shields
Tyne & Wear
NE33 1HR
Phone: 0191 4557958

Jarrow Citizens Advice Bureau
Tarn House
8 Grange Road West
Tyne & Wear
NE32 3JA
Phone: 0191 4557958, 0191 4557958

If you think your benefit is wrong please see appeals.

Make a claim

To make a Discretionary Housing Payments claim, complete the form: 

Make a Discretionary Housing Payment claim online