Skip header

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

Make a Discretionary Housing Payments claim

To make a Discretionary Housing Payments claim, complete the form: 

Make a Discretionary Housing Payment claim online

What are Discretionary Housing Payments?

Discretionary Housing Payments are payments made in addition to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, if we consider that additional help with housing costs is needed.  Discretionary Housing Payments are not payments of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Who can claim?

The person entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit can make a claim or someone acting on behalf of the person concerned (e.g. an appointee) can also make a claim.

How much can I claim?

The Council will decide the amount of the payments that you are entitled to and the period for which the payments will be made.

Your entitlement to Discretionary Housing Payments will be reconsidered each time you apply in writing.

The Council is given an amount each year to spend. Once the money has been spent no further Discretionary Housing Payment can be awarded in that financial year.

Will I be entitled to Discretionary Housing Payments?

Each case is looked at separately. Discretionary Housing Payments provide financial help to people who:

  • Are entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Cost element and
  • Appear to need further financial assistance (in addition to the benefit or benefits to which they are entitled) in order to meet housing costs

What are "housing costs"?

Housing costs are your eligible rent.

The following are not included and Discretionary Housing Payments will not be paid in respect of them:

(a) Certain elements of rent:

  • Ineligible service charges
  • Water, sewerage and environmental services
  • Increase in rent due to outstanding rent arrears

Independent advice

Welfare rights advice
South Tyneside Council
Town Hall & Civic Offices
Westoe Road
South Shields
Tyne and Wear
NE33 2RL
See:  Welfare Support Service

South Tyneside Citizens Advice Bureau
Edinburgh Buildings
2 Station Approach
South Shields
Tyne & Wear
NE33 1HR
Phone: 0191 4557958

Jarrow Citizens Advice Bureau
Tarn House
8 Grange Road West
Tyne & Wear
NE32 3JA
Phone: 0191 4557958, 0191 4557958

If you think your benefit is wrong please see appeals.

How would you rate the information on this page?

  • Benefits
  • Hawthorne
    Rolling Mill Road
    Viking Industrial Park
    Tyne and Wear
    United Kingdom
    NE32 3DP

  • 0191 424 4333

Share this page