Building control applications and requests


If you wish to demolish a building or part of a building, you are required to tell the Council in writing, giving at least six weeks notice.

A copy of the notice should also be sent to other interested parties, such as the occupier of any adjacent building, and the local water, gas and electricity supply authorities / companies.

We will write to inform you of any works to be carried out to services and adjoining buildings. This is to make sure that:

  • gas, electricity and water supplies are made safe
  • redundant drains are sealed
  • affected buildings are properly supported and weatherproofed
  • debris is removed and the site made safe

You can start the demolition if you have received our response to your notice, or the six week period has expired.

If you start before that time, the Council may be obliged to take enforcement action under the Building Act 1984.

See fees and charges for the relevant charge.

Notify the council about a planned demolition