Skip header

Council Tax Support

How to make a claim

To claim Council Tax Support or second adult rebate, contact the Benefit Team on 0191 424 4333.

A benefits advisor will complete an application over the phone with you.  Please remember to answer all the questions fully and provide as much information as you can.

If you think you qualify for Council Tax Support or second adult rebate, make your claim straight away or you may lose benefit.

If you live in rented accommodation you may also be entitled to Housing Benefit.

Who can apply for Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support helps people on low incomes pay their Council Tax.

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are aged 18 or over and you have to pay Council Tax on your home.

Anyone who is liable for Council Tax can claim Council Tax support:

  • You can claim Council Tax Support even if you are working
  • You do not have to be receiving any other benefits
  • You can even claim Council Tax Support if you already get a discount on your Council Tax, for example, if you live alone
  • You don't need to have paid any national insurance contributions

You can live in a:

  • Council property
  • Privately rented or housing association accommodation
  • House you are buying or have already bought

Do you share your home with someone who isn't your partner?

If so, you may qualify for second adult rebate. 

Second adult rebate is help with your Council Tax bill if you share your home with one or more adults.

To qualify for second adult rebate the person who shares with you must not be your partner (a person you are married to or a person you live with as if you are married to them).

Is the person who shares your home:

  • Aged 18 or over?
  • Not your partner?
  • Not paying you rent?
  • Not liable to pay council tax themselves?

If you can answer yes to all, then you may qualify for second adult rebate.

Second adult rebate is based on the circumstances of the person who shares your home.

Your income and savings will not have an effect on second adult rebate.

If you are entitled to both Council Tax Support and second adult rebate, we will pay the one which gives you the most money.

Changes to Council Tax Support

As of April 2016:

  • the maximum period for awarding backdated benefit for people who have not reached the state pension age is 1 month
  • the government has made changes to the Council Tax Support scheme for those customers who have reached the state pension age. The Family Premium is not included in the assessment for new entitlements on or after 1 May 2016 for claimants who have a child or become responsible for a child (under 16) or young person (under 20) for the first time after 30 April 2016.  It also means that if a current claimant ceases to have the family premium included in their claim because they cease to have responsibility for any children or young people, then they will not be able to regain access to the family premium if they become responsible again for any children or young people in the future.

You can also take a look at the Local Council Tax Support Scheme362.98KB.

Definition of State Pension Credit Age

This is defined by the State Pension Credit Act 2002 as:

'In the case of a woman, pensionable age, and in the case of a man, the age which is pensionable age in the case of a woman born on the same day as a man'.

Women's pensionable age, as set out in the Pensions Act 1995 (S126 and Schedule 4), is gradually changing over a 10-year period to become the same as that of men. It currently stands at just over 62.

Definition of Qualifying Disability Premiums

Disability Premium

The person claiming and their partner must be under pension age. The person claiming or their partner:

  • is blind or has recently regained their sight; or 
  • receives Disability Living Allowance; or 
  • receives Personal Independence Payment; or
  • receives a benefit which is treated as Attendance Allowance; or 
  • receives War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement; or 
  • receives the disability element or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit; or 
  • has a disability vehicle supplied by the NHS or gets Department for Work and Pensions payments for car running costs; or 
  • is incapable of work and satisfies the further conditions listed below:

- the person claiming or their partner count as 'disabled or long term sick' if they are in receipt of Severe Disability Allowance or Incapacity Benefit payable at the long term rate

- the person claiming is incapable of work and has been incapable of work for a qualifying period of 28 weeks if terminally ill or 52 weeks in any other case

the person claiming or their partner is not entitled to the disability premium if he/she has, or is treated as having, limited capability for work. (that means they are in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance)

Severe Disability Premium

The person claiming must:

  • be receiving the middle or highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance at either rate, or a benefit which is treated as Attendance Allowance; 
  • receive the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment;


  • must have no non dependants
  • no one must be receiving Carer's Allowance in respect of them

In the case of a couple (except where one is blind), both members must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Disabled Child Premium

Disabled child premium for a child who is blind or receives Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page