Help with school and college transport
Personal Transport Budget
A Personal Transport Budget is help towards the cost of getting your child to school or college and back.
This can be used towards:
- the cost of fuel or car share agreements
- public transport
- anything else that supports you to make your own arrangements to get your child to school
This is normally calculated at 40p per mile. If the journey requires travel through the Tyne Tunnel this is calculated at two journeys per day at the Tyne Tunnel permit rate.
This is usually paid as a lump sum when transport help begins.
Apply for a Personal Transport Budget
If you have any issues accessing the online form, please contact the Special Educational Needs (SEN) Transport Team by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 427 2680
What happens after you have applied
- If you apply online, we will email you a confirmation of your application.
- If you get the maximum level of Working Tax Credit, you need to provide proof of this to support your application. You can email your proof to email@example.com, or post to: Transport team, South Shields Town Hall, Westoe Road, South Shields, NE33 2RL.
- We will review your application, and will contact you if we have any questions.
- If you are applying for support for the current academic year, please note that applications can take up to 10 working days to process. We will notify you of the outcome as soon as we can.
- If you are applying for transport support for the 2024 / 25 academic year, you will be notified of the outcome by e-mail in August.
Applying after the deadline date
Please note the deadline for 2024 / 25 academic year applications is 5 May.
If you apply after this date, we cannot guarantee that support will be in place by the start of the school year.