Help with school and college transport
Please see below for information on who is eligible.
- Children who go to their nearest suitable school and live at least:
- 2 miles from the school if they're under 8
- 3 miles from the school if they're 8 or older
- Children who can't walk to school because there's no safe walking route
- Children who can't walk to school because of their special educational need, disability or mobility problem
- If you get the maximum Working Tax Credit or your children are entitled to free school meals, they can get help with transport if they're:
- aged 8 to 11 and the school is at least 2 miles away
- aged 11 to 16 and the school is 2 to 6 miles away - as long as there aren't 3 or more suitable schools nearer to home
- aged 11 to 16 and the school is 2 to 15 miles away - if it's their nearest school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief
Proof of eligibility
If applicable, you will need to provide proof of your entitlement to the maximum level of Working Tax Credit.
If your child goes to their nearest school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief, you must provide clear written evidence to demonstrate why you chose this school.
We may also ask the relevant admission authority for written confirmation of the admission category which your child was offered a place.