30 hours free childcare for 3 and 4 year olds
All 3 and 4-year-olds are currently entitled to 15 hours of free childcare a week (this is also extended to the most disadvantaged 2-year-olds).
All eligible working parents of 3 and 4-year-olds are also now entitled to an additional 15 free hours of childcare - raising the entitlement to 30 hours during term time.
To check if you are eligible, see eligibility.
The additional 15 hours of free childcare is available for families where:
- both parents are working (or the sole parent is working in a sole parent family), and
- each parent earns a minimum of the equivalent of 16 hours a week at the national minimum or living wage, and
- both parents earns less than £100,000 a year
Where free entitlement places are available
In South Tyneside, free entitlement places will be available in:
- schools and academies with a nursery class
- maintained nursery schools
- day nurseries
When your child can start
Children can start from the term following their third birthday until they start full-time education, providing they stay eligible.
This is usually in the September following their fourth birthday.
Contact the provider for their term start dates and to arrange settling-in sessions.