Skip header
Adult Safeguarding banner

Safeguarding adults - reporting abuse

How to report abuse

If you have concerns or suspect that an adult is at risk of either being harmed or abused then you must report it.  To do nothing is the worst thing you can do.

To report abuse you should:

Call the Let's Talk team:

  • 0191 424 6000 (Monday to Thursday - 8.30am to 5pm, Friday - 8.30am to 4.30pm)
  • 0191 456 2093 (outside of the above office hours)

If a crime is taking place now:

  • Dial 101 to inform the police (or 999 if it is a serious crime / an emergency)
  • Call 999 if you believe any other emergency service is needed

You may also report concerns to the Care Quality Commission (CQC) on 03000 61 61 61 if your concern relates to a care organisation i.e. care home, hospital. 

Safeguarding adults referral form for professionals

Professionals can report concerns using the safeguarding adults referral form.

This form is for professionals only.

    What happens after you call?

    1. Someone will speak to you about the situation, and work with you or the person you are worried about to decide the best course of action and who might need to be involved. 
    2. You will be asked to explain the practical help you think you may need to make you safer and what else you might like to happen as a result of reporting your concerns. The local authority will make sure that your wishes are taken into account and work with you to try to get the outcomes you want.
    3. You should always hear back from the local authority if you report a concern, if you do not receive any feedback, you should contact 0191 424 6000 (please note however that confidential information cannot be shared).

    Getting help during the safeguarding process (advocacy)

    If you have care and support needs and for some reason you have substantial difficulty being involved in any safeguarding process that might be happening, the local authority will try to find an appropriate individual to support you. If it is not possible to identify someone, an independent advocate can appointed to support and represent you if necessary.


    If for any reason you are unhappy with the way the safeguarding process is working, you can make a complaint to the Council and ask them to investigate your concerns.


    How would you rate the information on this page?

    Share this page