Report a concern about an adult (safeguarding and abuse)

How to report a concern

If you have concerns that a vulnerable or older adult is at risk of either being harmed or abused then you must report it. 

To do nothing is the worst thing you can do.

See what is abuse.

How to report abuse of an adult

Call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.

If you think someone is at risk or is being abused, you should report it to South Tyneside Council:

  • 0191 424 6000
    Monday to Thursday - 8.30am to 5pm
    Friday - 8.30am to 4.30pm
  • 0191 456 2093
    Outside of the above office hours

If you are a professional, you can report concerns using the safeguarding adults referral form.

Care homes and hospitals

If your concern relates to a care home or hospital, you can also report concerns to the Care Quality Commission (CQC) on 03000 61 61 61.