Council housing in South Tyneside is managed by South Tyneside Homes.
How to apply:
1. Register with the housing scheme
To apply for Council housing, you need to be a member of the Tyne and Wear Homes housing scheme.
- Anyone over 16 years old can register. Applicants under 18 will have their needs assessed by a specialist team.
- To register, you will need to provide information including your national insurance number and details of previous tenancies.
- After registering, you will be sent a letter within 10 working days with your application number, confirmation of your date of registration, and your banding status.
Once registered, you will be able to apply for housing in:
- South Tyneside
- North Tyneside
You can register with the scheme on the Tyne and Wear Homes website:
Register with the housing scheme
Register over the phone:
If you are unable to complete the online application by yourself or are having difficulties please call South Tyneside Homes' Housing Solutions Team on 0300 123 6633 to complete an application over the phone.
2. Search for and bid on homes
Once you have registered with the housing scheme you will be able to search and bid on homes.
- Homes are advertised from Thursday 00:01 to Monday 23:59.
- You can place 3 bids per week from the Choice Based Lettings list. Bids can also be placed on the properties on the Available Now list.
- Each home is advertised with Lettings criteria to let you know the household size the home is suitable for.
To search for a home, visit the Tyne and Wear Homes website:
Search for a home
3. What happens next?
You will be kept informed about your position on the shortlist, by logging in to your Tyne and Wear Homes account.
Due to the demand for housing, homes are allocated according to need.
For information about what happens when you are offered a home, see South Tyneside Homes: When you are offered a home.
Anyone can apply for housing. Due to the demand for housing, homes are allocated according to need.
Each home is advertised with Lettings criteria to let you know the household size the home is suitable for.
For information about what kind of home you could be eligible for, see South Tyneside Homes: Search and bid on homes FAQs
Frequently asked questions
Find out about:
- applying for a home
- what kind of housing you're eligible for
- information about the banding system
- if you have medical needs
- checks that will be carried out
- and much more
South Tyneside Homes: Search and bid on homes FAQs
Help and support
The South Tyneside Homes Homefinder service can give help and advice with any housing or housing application issue, such as:
- general housing and application advice
- mutual exchange
- dedicated Young Persons Advisor
- advice and guidance on private rentals
- assistance for people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness
- and more
Find out more: South Tyneside Homes: Help and support
If you have served in the armed forces, see Armed forces housing (South Tyneside Homes).
Other ways to find housing
Other options include housing associations and private housing.
See How to find a home