Skip header

How to find a home

Coronavirus (COVID-19) information

For COVID-19 housing information, visit the South Tyneside Homes website:

South Tyneside Homes COVID-19 information

Houses in multiple occupation

Information and advice for landlords and tenants of houses in multiple occupation

Your main choices when finding a home:

  • Council housing
  • Housing associations
  • Private housing

Council housing

Council housing in South Tyneside is managed by South Tyneside Homes. For information on how to apply, see Apply for housing.

Housing associations

Housing associations and Registered Social Landlords (RSLs) are committed to providing affordable housing for rent and low cost home ownership.

You can apply directly to housing associations and RSLs for housing.

See a list of local Housing associations.

Private housing

Properties in the private rental sector are advertised in local newspapers, letting agents and estate agents.

With private housing, you are expected to pay a bond or deposit, and sometimes provide references. You will be normally offered a six month short-term assured tenancy, with an option to extend this at the end of the period.

For more information about the private rented sector, see Private housing.

Need help or advice?

The South Tyneside Homes Housing Solutions Service can help with:

  • general housing and application advice
  • assistance for people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness
  • mutual exchange
  • dedicated Young Persons Advisor
  • advice and guidance on private rentals
  • and more

See South Tyneside Homes: Housing Solutions Service.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page