Recycling Village opening times
|Monday to Sunday||9am - 6pm|
|Bank holidays||8am - 6pm|
For depositing waste and recyclables only, the site is open every day of the year except 25 December. The site is accessible by vehicle only, and pedestrians are not allowed to carry waste on to site.
What can I take to the Recycling Village?
- Blue banks - paper, magazines, catalogues and junk mail
- Red banks - glass bottles and jars
- Red banks - food tins and drink cans
- Red banks- cardboard
- Red banks - plastic bottles
- Red banks - beverage food and drink cartons
- Textiles and shoes
- Books and discs
- Gas bottles
- Car batteries
- Engine oil
- Timber and wood
- Fluorescent tubes and light bulbs
- Garden waste
- Mixed plastics
- Rubble and bricks
For a full list of what and where you can recycle, please see the A-Z guide of recycling
Tips for a successful visit
- The busiest times are at weekends, so if you want to come when it's quieter try during the week before 11am or after 4pm
- Separate your waste before you come - it will speed up your visit.
- If you bring your waste in plastic bags and sacks please empty it out of them, plastic bags cannot go into the skips (you can leave your plastic bags in a bin at the end of each aisle which is there specifically for them)
- Make sure that you put the right material into the right container - staff are on hand to help if you aren't sure where to put your waste.
- Do not carry waste onto site.
Windmill Warehouse (recycling shop)
The Windmill Warehouse based at the Recycling Village is a unique way for local residents to support social and environmental enterprise in South Tyneside. It is open Monday-Friday 9am till 5pm (closed for lunch around 12 noon).
We take in a variety of donated goods that are safety checked and cleaned before being put on sale in the Warehouse.
The profit from sales is donated to local Environmental Regeneration Charity, Groundwork South Tyneside & Newcastle, to fund community projects around South Tyneside.
Please note: The following prices are meant as a guide only and actual prices and availability may vary on site.
Recycling shop - price guide
£8-£10 set (4 chairs)
Bark Chippings (bag)
£2 Small £5 Large
If you would like information about our current stock please call the Windmill Warehouse on 0191 455 5517.
If you are interested in learning more about Groundwork projects please contact
The Eco Centre, Windmill Way, Hebburn, Tyne & Wear, NE31 1SR. Phone: 0191 428 1144.