Extended opening times
The Recycling Village is currently open from 8am to 6pm every day until Sunday 30 September 2018.
From Monday 1 October 2018, the opening times will be 9am to 6pm.
The Recycling Village will be open from 8am to 6pm every day for a trial period, until Sunday 30 September 2018.
The usual opening times are 9am to 6pm every day, and 8am to 6pm on bank holidays.
Please note that the gates close at 5.55pm (5.45pm for vans) to allow the site to be cleared before 6pm.
The site is open every day of the year except 25 December.
If you are bringing a car (or people carrier, or 4x4) without a trailer, you do not need a permit.
Vans, pick-ups and trailers
If you are using a van, pick-up or trailer to drop-off your waste at the Recycling Village, you will need to apply for a permit first.
Any vehicle with a gross weight in excess of 3.5 tonnes, trailers longer than 3 metres, or vehicles higher than 8' 2" (2.5 metres) will not be permitted access to the site for health and safety reasons (this includes Luton-style box vans that are too high to get under the canopy).
Request a waste permit for the recycling village
Visiting the Recycling Village
- The Recycling Village is accessible by vehicle only. Pedestrians are not allowed to carry waste on to site.
- You must be a resident of South Tyneside to use the Recycling Village.
- The busiest times are at weekends, so if you want to come when it's quieter try during the week before 11am or after 4pm
- Separate your waste before you come - it will speed up your visit.
- If you bring your waste in plastic bags and sacks please empty it out of them, plastic bags cannot go into the skips (you can leave your plastic bags in a bin at the end of each aisle which is there specifically for them)
- Make sure that you put the right material into the right container - staff are on hand to help if you aren't sure where to put your waste.
What can I take to the Recycling Village?
- Blue banks - paper, magazines, catalogues and junk mail
- Red banks - glass bottles and jars
- Red banks - food tins and drink cans
- Red banks- cardboard
- Red banks - plastic bottles
- Red banks - beverage food and drink cartons
- Textiles and shoes
- Books and discs
- Gas bottles
- Car batteries
- Engine oil
- Timber and wood
- Fluorescent tubes and light bulbs
- Garden waste
- Mixed plastics
- Rubble and bricks
For a full list of what and where you can recycle in South Tyneside, please see the A-Z guide of recycling
The Groundwork shop (recycling shop)
The Groundwork shop based at the Recycling Village is a unique way for local residents to support social and environmental enterprise in South Tyneside. It is open Monday-Friday 9am till 5pm (closed for lunch around 12 noon) and Saturday 10am-4pm.
We take in a variety of donated goods that are safety checked and cleaned before being put on sale in the Warehouse.
The profit from sales is donated to local Environmental Regeneration Charity, Groundwork South Tyneside & Newcastle, to fund community projects around South Tyneside.
Please note: The following prices are meant as a guide only and actual prices and availability may vary on site.
Recycling shop - price guide
£8-£10 set (4 chairs)
If you would like information about our current stock please call the Groundwork shop on 0191 455 5517.
If you are interested in learning more about Groundwork projects please contact The Eco Centre, Windmill Way, Hebburn, Tyne & Wear, NE31 1SR. Phone: 0191 428 1144.