Financial help with funeral costs


  1. Overview
  2. Financial help


Costs for the same funeral service may vary considerably from one funeral director to another.

You may wish to get more than one quote in order to compare costs.

Financial help

If you arrange a funeral you are the person responsible for paying the full costs, so check where the money will come from first.

If you are finding it difficult to pay for a funeral that you have to arrange, you may be entitled to financial assistance.

Funeral Expenses Payment

Funeral Expenses Payments (FEP) help people on qualifying benefits with the costs of arranging a funeral. It can be used to cover costs, including:

  • the purchase of a grave
  • necessary burial or cremation fees
  • travel costs for the applicant to arrange and attend the funeral

It can also cover other funeral costs, such as the coffin or flowers, up to a maximum of £1000.

Full details on eligibility and how to access FEP is available at GOV.UK: Get help with funeral costs (Funeral Expenses Payment).

Bereavement Support Payment

Bereavement Support Payment is a contributory benefit (based on the National Insurance contributions of the deceased person).

It helps working age people, whose spouse or civil partner dies, through the difficult period following bereavement. 

For more information, see GOV.UK: Bereavement Support Payment.

Children's Funeral Fund for England

Burial and cremation authorities can to apply to the government's Children's Funeral Fund for England for the reimbursement of fees which would otherwise be charged to the bereaved family.

The Fund can help pay for the burial or cremation in England of a child under the age of 18, or a baby stillborn after the 24th week of pregnancy.

Funding is available regardless of the income of the bereaved family.

Funeral directors, or the person organising the funeral, can apply for reinbursement of certain expenses through the Fund,

For more information, see GOV.UK: Support for child funeral costs (Children's Funeral Fund for England).