Children in entertainment

Many children enjoy performing:

  • on stage
  • in films
  • on TV
  • as models
  • in sport

Parents are usually very supportive, but laws exist to protect the children's welfare and prevent them from being exploited.

The person responsible for the production in which the child is to take part, must apply to the Local Authority in which the child lives for a Child Performance Licence.

To apply for a child performance licence, see apply for a child performance and activities license.

Please email the completed application to with the following:

  • The child's birth certificate
  • A head and shoulder picture of the child
  • Your safeguarding policy

In some circumstances, an organisation putting on a performance can apply for a Body of Persons Approval (BOPA) rather than applying for individual performance licences for the children taking part. Read more about Body of Persons Approval (BOPA).

Please email the completed application to with your safeguarding policy.

For more information see, a guide for parents.

To find out more, contact:

Child Employment Officer
Education and Standards
Level 0 
Town Hall and Civic Offices
South Shields
NE33 2RL

Phone: 0191 424 7400

For further information, visit NNCEE