Moving to Universal Credit

If you claim Tax Credits and live in South Tyneside, you may receive a letter from the Government inviting you to claim for Universal Credit. 

You will receive this letter if you:

  • Receive Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit 
  • Are of working age (including couples with one person of pension age)
  • Do not receive Housing Benefit, Income Support, Income based Jobseekers Allowance and Income related Employment and Support Allowance

These letters are known as 'Migration Notices' and are part of a process called Managed Migration. They will be sent out from 8 January 2024.

You will need to move to Universal Credit if you've received a Migration Notice, as one or more of your benefits will be ending soon. 

If you receive a 'Migration Notice' do not ignore it. Your Tax Credits will stop after 3 months.

Why you should claim Universal Credit

If you receive Tax Credits and live in South Tyneside you should claim Universal Credit to protect your income and other things like:

  • Free school meals
  • Help with prescriptions
  • Cost of living payment

For more information, help and advice see, money advice.