Freedom of the Borough
See a list of people awarded Freedom of the Borough.
Freedom of the Borough is the highest honour the Council can award.
Honorary Freedom of the Borough is given to people or organisations that have given exceptional service to South Tyneside or its people.
The honour is similar to the ancient privileges that were given to members of craft guilds.
Since 1974, South Tyneside has only awarded this honour on 12 occasions:
- 1981 - HMS Euryalus
- 1989 - The Reverend Father James Walsh
- 1991 - The Citizens of Wuppertal
- 1992 - The Very Reverend Canon Wilfred Joseph Fee
- 1998 - The Rt Hon Lord Dixon, PC
- 1999 - The Rt Hon Dr. David Clark, PC
- 2007 - 205 (3rd Durham Voluntary Artillery) Battery Royal Artillery (Volunteers)
- 2008 - Mr Paul Waggott
- 2011 - Councillor James Lowrey Capstick
- 2017 - South Shields Volunteer Life Brigade
- 2022 - Ray Spencer MBE
- 2023 - The Borough's NHS, Care Services and Key Workers
- 2023 - Sheila Graber