Support with Energy Bills For Those Not Yet Helped
Residents in South Tyneside who use alternative fuels to heat their homes and are not connected to the mains gas grid may be entitled to a £200 payment from the government.
The £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) is for people who heat their home using tank or bottled gas, liquid petroleum gas, oil, wood or solid fuel.
Most households eligible for this payment should have received a credit on their electricity bill. Anyone who hasn't yet received this should contact their electricity supplier.
The majority of households have already received a £400 discount on their energy bill automatically.
However, there are a small number of people that don't have a direct contract with an electricity supplier and will need to make a claim under the AFP Alternative Funding scheme. These include people whose main home is:
- a residential park home
- on a boat on a permanent residential mooring
- on a permanent Gypsy and Traveller site
- part of a heat network without an electricity meter
- in social or private rented accommodation which has a business energy connection or a communal electricity supply
- off the mains electricity or gas grid
- in a care home or assisted living facility and you pay for some or all of your care (directly or through loss of pension or other benefits)
- in a separate domestic home within a non-domestic property (such as a farmhouse or a flat above a shop)
People who have already received support under the Energy Bill Support Scheme are not eligible to claim through this scheme.
Councillor Ruth Berkley, Lead Member for the Voluntary Sector, Partnerships and Equalities, said: "This scheme is aimed at making sure those people who use alternative fuels are not disadvantaged and left to pay more than the majority of other people who have been supported by the Energy Price Guarantee.
"I would encourage anyone who feels they might be eligible for the Alternative Fuels Payment to apply on the government website so that we can distribute it as quickly as we can."
To check eligibility and apply online, visit GOV.UK: Apply for energy bill support if you do not get it automatically.
Anyone who needs help with their application or cannot apply online can call a helpline on 0808 175 3287 between Monday and Friday, 8am - 6pm or email email@example.com
The Council has a dedicated web page to offer cost of living support.