Damp, mould and condensation

Who is responsible for problems with damp in your home

In many cases, your landlord is responsible for dealing with damp. This is because there's a term implied into your tenancy agreement which says that it's their responsibility to keep the exterior and structure of your home in good repair.

Structural problems in your property that cause damp, penetrating damp or plumbing / construction damp will usually be the responsibility of the landlord, however this is not necessarily the case when it comes to condensation.

Condensation in the home can often build up and cause damp because of the things we do, for example

  • blocking ventilation points (air vents)
  • drying clothes on radiators
  • not using / switching off extraction fans
  • failing to ventilate our homes sufficiently to get rid of moisture

If you are not using your home in a reasonable way or failing to keep on top of any build-up of condensation on windows and walls, then this can lead to damp and mould growth in the property, which the landlord is not likely to be responsible for fixing. 

Your landlord is likely to be responsible if:

  • If the damp was caused by your landlord not making specific repairs, for example failing to fix your boiler / heating system
  • the damp has caused damage to things in your property that the landlord is responsible for repairing, for example rotten window frames

If you feel your home isn't safe to live in because of damp, i.e it is making you or your family ill, then your landlord might be responsible. You should contact your landlord immediately, see How to report a repair.

If you have reported damp to your landlord and can show that you have contacted them about the problem already, but they haven't done anything about it, then please get in touch with us.

Contact the Private Sector Housing Team by: