Paying for residential care


The Council follows regulations set out by central government when deciding what people can afford to pay toward the cost of their care, and how much financial help they can get.

In general, everyone needs to pay something toward the cost of their care, unless one of the following applies:

  • Your care is provided under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983
  • You qualify for NHS continuing Health Care Funding. See NHS: Continuing Healthcare

Some people may pay the full cost themselves. Others may get help to pay these costs.

The laws we must follow

When deciding how much you need to pay, the Council must follow the laws set out in: