Apply for a disabled parking bay outside your home


  1. Overview
  2. Who can apply
  3. What happens next
  4. Apply online
  5. Apply by post


You can ask the Council to put a disabled parking bay outside your home.

This is known as an 'Advisory Disabled Parking Bay'.

The bay can be used by anyone with a Blue Badge - it won't belong to you or your household.

'Advisory' means we cannot enforce who parks in the bay. No action can be taken by the Council or the police if the bay is used by other drivers.

Who can apply

You can apply if:

  • You have a Blue Badge
  • You live at the address given on the application
  • You, or one of your family members living at the address, is the registered owner of the vehicle
  • You do not have a drive, other off-street parking, or a suitable parking space within the boundary of your home
  • There are no loading bays, waiting restrictions or bus stops in front of your home
  • Any part of the proposed bay is not within 10 metres of a major road junction
  • There are regular parking problems within 25 metres of your home
  • The road is wider than 5.5m (this is the minimum space needed to safely place a bay)
  • Disabled parking bays do not take up more than 20% of the available kerb space within 100 metres of your home
  • The bay will not obstruct access to your neighbours' driveways, either next to or opposite the bay
  • The bay will be on the road
  • The bay is not in a shared residential parking bay, or where there is no clear distinction between the road and footpath

Please do not apply unless you meet all of the above criteria.

What happens next

We will let your immediate neighbours and local councillors know if the bay will obstruct the front of surrounding properties. Your local councillors will be consulted if there are any objections.

You will get a letter to let you know if your application has been successful.

It usually takes around 4 months to arrange the parking bay. This may take longer due to weather conditions and workload.

Apply online

To apply online, complete the form below. 

You will need to include scanned copies of: 

  1. Evidence of vehicle ownership (V5C)
  2. Sketch of off-street parking at your home

Apply for a disabled parking bay

Apply by post

To apply by post, print out the form below, complete by hand, and return to: Parking Services, (FAO Mrs S Gray), Business Resources, Middlefields Site, Heddon Way, South Shields, Tyne & Wear, NE34 0NT. 

Please include a photocopy of your vehicle ownership (V5C) document.

Residential disabled parking bay application