Terms and conditions - Leisure memberships
- General principles
- Types of membership
- Booking a fitness class or activity
- Cancelling a fitness class or activity
- Late entry
- Changes to hours of business or timetables
- Change of details / circumstances
- Termination and refund of membership fees
- Entire agreement, inconsistency and changes to terms and conditions
- Law and jurisdiction
If you would like to use our leisure facilities, you must agree to abide by the following terms and conditions.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you are kept up to date with any changes made to the terms and conditions; any subsequent changes will be posted on our website.
- Before using any leisure facility, you should be satisfied that you are fit and able to do so. If you have any medical complaint or condition that may affect your ability to exercise, you should refrain from doing so.
- If you suffer from any medical condition or complaint which may impact upon your ability to fully participate in exercise and despite this you chose to do so, it is your responsibility to inform a member of leisure staff or fitness instructor of your medical condition or complaint.
- If you are using our gym facilities and you are aged 14 - 17, you must undergo an induction programme.
- As a user of our leisure facilities your health and wellbeing are of paramount importance to us. In view of this, we may offer you advice and guidance on health and wellbeing related issues.
Types of membership
Duo or Multi Membership
- A Duo or Multi Membership entitles you to unlimited use of your chosen activities at any of our facilities, subject to availability.
- To benefit from any promotional membership offers, you must not of had a Duo or Multi Membership with us in the previous three months, starting from the launch of the offer.
- We reserve the right to change your Monthly Membership fee, if this happens, we'll notify you by letter or email not less than 3 weeks before the change is made.
- Duo and Multi Memberships are non-transferable. We reserve the right to withdraw a Duo or Multi Membership, without refund, when the card is used by anyone else except the registered user
Duo or Multi Membership - Payment
- Duo and Multi Memberships can be purchased by annual payment or monthly direct debit (collectively referred to as 'Membership Fees').
- When applying for a direct debit with us, a current utility bill and bank statement must be provided as proof of address.
- Duo or Multi Memberships purchased via direct debit are bound by the terms and conditions of the Service Contract. If you are paying for your Duo or Multi Membership via direct debit, is important that if you familiarise yourself with the terms and conditions of the Service Contract, which form part of the Membership application process.
- Direct debit Duo and Multi Memberships are rolling contracts with a minimum period of six months ('Minimum Period'). You will therefore be required to make a minimum of six direct debit payments.
- Direct debit Duo or Multi Membership will continue beyond the Minimum Period until such a time you advise us in writing of your intention to terminate your Membership (see below).
- Where a direct debit is unpaid, we will be entitled to recover this as a debt.
30 Day Activity Pass
- A 30 Day Activity Pass is valid from the date of purchase until the expiration of the 30 days.
- A 30 Day Activity Pass is non-transferable and non-refundable.
Further information on Memberships (including Membership Fees) can be found on Types of memberships.
Booking a fitness class or activity
- Classes and activities can be booked up to 8 days in advance for Members. All classes can be booked from 7am*, regardless of the start time.
- Bookings can be made online using the leisure booking app, Legend portal, kiosk or by telephone. You cannot book a place on behalf of another person.
- When making your booking, please have your Membership number to hand as this will be required to secure your place.
- You cannot reserve back-to-back bookings of the same discipline in advance. We strongly advise against doing two classes in a row, however if spaces are available, you can register immediately prior to the session, but this is at your own risk.
- Please note you must be aged 14 or over to attend one of our classes or activities. If you are under the age of 16, you must be accompanied by an adult.
*Please note individual opening times of leisure facilities vary, please consider this when attempting to book a place on a class.
Cancelling a fitness class or activity
- Get Active Discount Card holders can cancel a class booking or activity and receive a refund, using the booking app, online or by contacting one of our leisure facilities, any time up to three hours before the class or activity starts.
- If, as a Get Active Discount Card holder, you do not cancel your class or activity and fail to attend or attempt to cancel within the three-hour notice period, you will not receive a refund and shall accrue a "default" on your account. Three or more "defaults" on your account in a calendar month will result in you losing your advance booking rights. You will be placed on a "suspension list" for 14 days and will only be able to attend a class or activity during this period if there are spaces available on the day.
- The recording of your attendance is your responsibility and not the instructor.
- Please ensure that your attendance is recorded, otherwise it could result in you accruing a "default" on your account.
- As a Member, you can go straight to the studio/poolside for registration.
- If you have not booked, even as a member you must secure a place, simply "dropping in" to the class is prohibited.
- Please try to allow yourself plenty of time to register/pay so that classes and activities can start on time.
- Regarding classes, the warmup is important therefore entry can be refused once the class has started.
Changes to hours of business or timetables
- We reserve the right to suspend a class or activity, make changes to timetables and to hours of business and, in exceptional circumstances, close a facility with or without prior notice.
- Where this occurs, we shall endeavour to give you advance notice and to minimise disruption and inconvenience.
- Lockers are provided for the safekeeping of personal property. Personal property is left in lockers at your own risk. We are not responsible for any loss or damage to personal property incurred, unless caused by our negligence. In the event of loss or damage to your personal property, please inform a member of staff.
- We can remove the contents from any locker used overnight which has not been paid for. You can claim the contents from the facility reception for up to six weeks after removal. After this time, it will be treated as lost property.
- We request that during busy periods, time spent on gym equipment is limited to 20 minutes per station, otherwise you may be asked to move on by a member of leisure staff.
- You agree to abide by our guidelines for use:
- Appropriate clothing and footwear should be worn when using the leisure facilities.
- You are required to behave in a manner that is considerate to the needs of other users.
- You must use the leisure facilities and equipment in the proper manner and consult a member of staff if unsure.
- In using the leisure facilities, you agree not to verbally or physically abuse leisure staff, or to damage or intentionally misuse the leisure facilities or equipment provided.
We accept no responsibility for the loss of, or damage to property, or injury, illness or death on in any of our facilities unless caused by our negligence.
Change of details / circumstances
- We must be notified of any change in your personal details for example, name, address, and bank account.
- Where there has been a change to your personal details or circumstances you should contact us, either in person or in writing at the Systems Administrator, Haven Point, Pier Parade, South Shields, NE33 2JS or update your personal information using the online services website: STC Leisure Online Services: Login
Termination and refund of membership fees
30 Day Activity Pass
- You are not able to terminate a 30 Day Activity Pass. This type of Membership terminates upon the expiration of the 30 days.
- You are not entitled to a refund of Membership Fees for non-use of a 30 Day Activity Pass.
Duo or Multi membership
- You can terminate your Duo or Multi Membership at any time giving us one months' notice in writing.
- Termination of Membership requests should be sent by email to email@example.com or, if by letter, either hand delivered or sent (we recommend by recorded delivery) to; Haven Point Pier Parade
South Shields Tyne and Wear NE33 2JS.
- A refund of Membership Fees shall be calculated on a pro rata basis from when the one months' notice of termination has expired.
Payment via Direct Debit
Within the Minimum Period
- Once a Duo or Multi Membership has been entered into, it cannot be changed or terminated before the expiry of the Minimum Period, except in certain circumstances.
- A request for termination during the Minimum Period may be considered in the event of any of the following:
- (i) you are moving away from the area;
- (ii) you are suffering from sustained medical problems, illness or injury which make it no longer practical for you to be able to use our facilities; or
- (iii) your financial circumstances have adversely changed since starting your membership.
- A request for termination during the Minimum Period must be accompanied with appropriate supporting evidence. Any information will be treated in confidence.
- You may also terminate your Membership during the Minimum Period if,
- (i) We significantly reduce the number of facilities or opening hours; or
- (ii) We close the facilities for a period of more than four weeks.
- We will use our reasonable endeavours to give you notice of the change (either writing or by displaying a sign in the facilities).
- If you wish to terminate your Membership due to the reasons stated above, you must give us one months' notice in writing.
- Termination of Membership requests within the Minimum Period should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or, if by letter, either hand delivered or sent (we recommend by recorded delivery) to; Haven Point, Pier Parade, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 2JS.
Outside of the Minimum Period
- If you wish to terminate your Membership you must give us one months' notice in writing.
- Termination requests outside of the Minimum Period should be sent by email to; SouthTynesideCL@servicetsg.com or, by calling 0191 731 7565
- Duo and Multi Membership Fees paid for via direct debit are non-refundable.
Circumstances where we may terminate your membership
- We may terminate your Membership in the following circumstances:
- (i) if you commit a serious or repeated breach of these terms and conditions or breach the Guidelines for Use ; or
- (ii) if any part of your Monthly Membership fee remains unpaid one month after its due date for payment; or
- (iii) if you provide us with false details which you know to be false when applying for Membership.
- If we terminate for any of these reasons, we reserve the right to retain a proportion of the Monthly Membership fee which you have paid to cover any reasonable costs we have incurred as a result.
Suspending your membership
- We will consider a request to suspend your Membership if you are pregnant or suffering from an illness or injury that means you may be temporarily unable to use the leisure facilities.
- You are required to submit appropriate evidence in support of your request. We will extend the end date of your paid in full membership or stop direct debit collections to reflect the agreed period of suspension.
- Suspension of Membership requests within the Minimum Period should be sent via email to email@example.com or, if by letter, either hand delivered or sent (we recommend by recorded delivery) to; Haven Point, Pier Parade, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 2JS.
- Suspension of membership requests outside of the Minimum Period should be sent via email to; SouthTynesideCL@servicetsg.com or, by calling 0191 731 7565
Cooling Off Period
If you apply to become a Member using our online application process; you have a period of 14 days to exercise your statutory right of withdrawing. This period shall begin from your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
For details on how we use the personal information you provide - please see our privacy notice.
Entire agreement, inconsistency and changes to terms and conditions
- These terms and conditions, together with the terms and conditions set out in any direct debit agreement you may enter into with us, constitutes the entire agreement between us for use of our leisure facilities.
- Where there is a conflict or inconsistency between these terms and conditions and that of any direct debit agreement or any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials, these terms and conditions shall take precedence.
- We reserve the right to make reasonable changes to these terms and conditions at any time. It is your responsibility to check for updates, the latest version can be found on these pages.
- These terms and conditions are a contract between you and us. No other person shall have any right to enforce any of the terms.
Law and jurisdiction
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England. Disputes arising here from shall be exclusively subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of England.
- If any of these terms and conditions is determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the law of any state or country in which these terms and conditions are intended to be effective, then to the extent to which that term or condition is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from that clause and the remaining terms and conditions shall survive and continue to be binding and enforceable.