1. Overview
  2. Search for childminders
  3. Childminders in South Tyneside
  4. Register with Ofsted and training
  5. Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
  6. Help paying for a childminder
  7. If you're interested in becoming a childminder
  8. Report a concern about a childminder


Childminders are self-employed working in their own home, caring for children from the age of birth upwards for part or all of the day.

Charges for childminding are agreed between parent and childminder and will vary depending upon the number of hours your child is cared for.

Search for childminders

Search all childminders


Search only outstanding or good childminders

If you are a childminder you can add or update your details.

Childminders in South Tyneside

If you would like a list of current South Tyneside Ofsted approved childminders contact the Families Information Service on 0800 783 4645.

Register with Ofsted and training 

All childminders in South Tyneside undertake a course of preparation prior to Ofsted registration.

Once registered, childminders are given the opportunity to maintain skills to a high standard by attending regular training courses and awareness sessions organised by the Council.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

It is South Tyneside Council's policy to strongly advise that all childminders undergo enhanced DBS checks (formally known CRB checks).

However the Council has no legal powers to enforce this.

 It is the responsibility of the parent / carer to check the status of prospective childminders before employing them.

South Tyneside Council strongly recommends that parents/carers request proof of current enhanced DBS clearance from childminders and any other occupant of the house aged 16 or over.

The responsibility for choosing a childminder, or not, based on DBS clearance, is with the parent / carer.

Help paying for a childminder

You may be able to get help with the cost of childcare.

For more information, see GOV.UK: Help with childcare costs.

If you're interested in becoming a childminder

Ofsted recognised childminder training courses are available online.

These distance learning courses can be delivered in a way which is flexible to fit round your busy lifestyle.

Once you have completed your Ofsted training course and Ofsted registration, we will provide you with support, training and advice in preparation for you embarking on your new career.

For information, advice and guidance contact the Families Information Service on 0800 783 4645 or email

For information about obtaining enhanced DBS clearance contact the Families Information Service on 0800 783 4645.

For help with tax or self employment visit Starting in business e-learning course (HM Revenue and Customs) or HM Revenue & Customs live webinars.

Report a concern about a childminder

If you have a concern or complaint about a childminder, you should approach the childminder direct in the first instance. 

If this is not appropriate, please contact Ofsted on 0300 123 1231.