Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan Referendum
A Neighbourhood Planning Referendum was held for the Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan on Thursday 4 August 2022.
The referendum asked residents who live in the defined Whitburn neighbourhood forum area the following question:
"Do you want South Tyneside Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Whitburn to help it decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area?"
The results are as follows:
|Number of votes||Percentage|
|Number cast in favour of YES||1,127||92.45%|
|Number cast in favour of NO||91||7.46%|
As part of the referendum process, South Tyneside Council was required to publish a number of key documents. These are called the 'specified documents':
- Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan: Referendum Version
- Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan: Policies Map (Referendum Version)
- Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan: Independent Examiner's Report
- Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan: Regulation 16 Consultation Representations
- Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan: South Tyneside Council Regulation 18 Decision Statement
- Whitburn Neighbourhood Plan: Information Statement
Following the 'yes' vote in the referendum the Neighbourhood Plan needed to be formally adopted at South Tyneside Council's Cabinet. This took place in September 2022 and the plan was formally adopted.
For more details generally on neighbourhood planning, see neighbourhood planning in South Tyneside.