Moving from children's to adult services


  1. Overview
  2. What a transition may include
  3. Who is involved in transition planning


As young people get closer to their 18th birthday, they (and their families) can sometimes be worried about the changeover from the children and young people services to adult services. 

We sometimes call this change "transition".

The two services are organised together to make sure that these changes are as smooth as possible.

Support and services will be based on the young person's needs, and what they want to do, covering things like going to college, work and where to live.

Preparation begins after the young person has their 17th birthday, and involves the young person and their carers.

The transition from childhood to adulthood is a time which young people often find exciting. However, it can also be an anxious time.

The transition process is particularly important for young disabled people as making these changes can often be more complicated.

Leaving school and moving into adulthood can need careful planning.

It is very important that the young person is involved in transition planning and understands and is prepared for any changes.

It is also essential that young people and their carers are aware of the available support and services to enable successful future planning.

For these reasons it is very important that planning for transition begins as early as possible.

What a transition might include

  • The move from school to college, training or employment
  • Moving from a parent's / carer's home into another setting
  • Moving from Children's to Adult Services

Who is involved in transition planning

The people and agencies involved in transition planning should help the young person to focus on their hopes and aspirations for the future. The following people may provide support and information during the transition process:

  • The young person
  • Education
  • Health Services
  • Person centred planning co-ordinators
  • Voluntary and independent agencies
  • Social worker
  • Other people who the young person may be involved with

If you are worried about these changes and what might be involved, please contact your social worker.