Thurston Outdoor Education Centre: Climbing wall policy
Revised: January 2022
The climbing wall offers a great opportunity to experience rock climbing in a controlled environment. Sessions can vary in length with or without ropes as time and ability dictate.
The wall is located in Thurston OEC's kit store. Other fee paying climbing walls include: Kendal, Ambleside and Keswick.
- Ratio: The normal instructor / student ratio.
- Group leaders should hold CWA/RCI or higher or have in-house approval for Thurston's wall only.
- The centre provides all specialist equipment.
- Instructor should carry out a visual inspection on all equipment that is to be used.
- Any personal equipment must meet centre requirements.
- Footwear should be rock boots or light trainers or plimsolls (provided).
- Thurston's climbing wall room is not heated so adequate clothing is required for the conditions.
- When climbing above personal shoulder height, ropes and harnesses to be used unless at a suitably protected bouldering wall.
- Any safe peer belaying method is acceptable under strict supervision of leader in charge.
- Harnesses should be checked when first put on and students told that if the buckle is adjusted in any way that it needs to be checked by the instructor again.