Skip header

Moving school: How to apply


  1. Overview
  2. Deciding whether to move schools
  3. How to apply
  4. After you've applied

How to apply

When to apply

You must apply within two months of the move date. You cannot apply if the move date is more than two months away. 

Families of UK Armed Forces and Crown personnel are exempt from this rule, and can apply more than two months from the move date. 

Who can apply

To apply, you must have parental responsibility for the child.

If you and another adult have shared responsibility for the child, you should both agree which schools to name as the preferred schools and the order of preference, before submitting the application.

If we get two applications for the same child from the same parents, we may need to put both applications on hold, reducing the chances of the child getting a place at a school.

Moving schools within South Tyneside

If your child is transferring from one South Tyneside school to another, their current Head Teacher must sign your form before you submit it. 

Asylum seekers and refugees

If you tick the refugee box, we may share your information with other agencies.

This is to make sure that you and your child's needs are met and you get any support that you may need.

If your child lives at more than one address

Include the address of the parent or carer who the child normally lives with for most of the time. 

If you want us to consider an address that is not your child's normal address, you must provide a child arrangement order, issued by a court. 

We have the right to seek proof of address and to withdraw an offer of a place, if inaccurate information is given on the application form. 

If you or the child moves address after you have submitted the form, you must contact us in writing immediately. We may ask for proof of the new address.

Complete the application form

In-year admissions application form944.4KB

Email your completed form to:

Or, post your completed form to: School Admissions team, Town Hall and Civic Offices, Westoe Road, South Shields, NE33 2RL. We recommend sending by recorded delivery so that you have proof of postage.

If you need a hard copy of the application form, contact the School Admissions team on 0191 424 7767 or 0191 424 7706.

We may need more information

We may contact you for more information if:

  • you're a serving member of the regular UK Armed Forces with a posting to the area or a Crown Servant returning from overseas
  • you're applying on behalf of a looked after child, previously looked after child or a child from state care outside of England who has been adopted
  • you're applying from overseas - your application will be based on your current address so we may need evidence to confirm your return to the UK

Next page: After you've applied

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page