Skip header
Living Better Lives (ASC)

Equipment and changes to your home: Who provides the equipment


  1. Overview
  2. Changes to your home
  3. Finding the right equipment
  4. Request an assessment 
  5. Bathing assessments
  6. Home assessments
  7. Who provides the equipment

Who provides the equipment

After an assessment, if it is decided that you need equipment, either South Tyneside Council or Age Concern will provide it for you.

You can also buy your own equipment.  

South Tyneside Council

Most equipment is loaned by South Tyneside Council, through the Living Better Lives Resource Centre.

The centre will deliver new equipment, collect old equipment from your home and collect broken equipment to repair. For more information, see the Living Better Lives Resource Centre.

South Tyneside Council doesn't provide wheelchairs. For a list of companies that hire out wheelchairs, see care services for adults.

If you need a walking aid such as a walking stick, contact your GP.

Age Concern

Age Concern can provide some equipment such as grab rails and bannister / stair rails.

They can also provide key safes so care workers, family or emergency services can get into your home if you can't get to the door.

Age Concern will arrange this for you.

Buying your own equipment

There are many companies that sell equipment, if you would rather buy your own, including:

For more services who sell / hire equipment, see Care services for adults: equipment and alarms.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page