As part of the Government support package for businesses South Tyneside Council has received funds under the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG). This funding is to be utilised over the financial years 2020/21 and 2021/22, as such South Tyneside Council must determine how to best utilise this funding over the two financial years.
How we are using this funding
South Tyneside Council will initially use part of Additional Restrictions Grant resources to enable more businesses to access the Local Restrictions Support Grant scheme as detailed in the information regarding the scheme. This recognises the immediate local economic need within the business community in these sectors and will enable two additional categories of businesses to be supported at this critical time.
We are supporting local businesses occupying commercial premises in South Tyneside who fall into one of the following three categories but cannot access the main Local Restrictions Support Grant schemes:
- Businesses in hospitality, leisure and accommodation sectors that have suffered reduced demand due to enhanced local restrictions.
- Wholesale and business to business suppliers to the hospitality, leisure and accommodation sectors occupying commercial premises in South Tyneside who can demonstrate that their business has been significantly impacted by the local restrictions.
- Businesses mandated to closed by government.
To be eligible the business must fit into one of the categories above and also:
- Operate from commercial premises within South Tyneside
- Be able to demonstrate that they have on-going costs of over £200 per month linked to commercial premises in South Tyneside.
Businesses believing they may be eligible for this support should contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing the following:
- Business name
- Business address
- Business activity
An initial assessment will be carried out and the business will be notified of the outcome and the next steps.
We will continue to work with Local Authority partners across the North East to consider the best use of the funds remaining to deliver a consistent approach across the region.
The ARG funding has been provided to deliver a range of business support measures across South Tyneside which can include both grants and other business support activities. This approach will be reviewed on a regular basis and further guidance will be published for how each of the schemes will operate in South Tyneside. The Council reserves the right to vary the terms of the schemes which include a discretionary element at any time, and without notice, should it be necessary to do so.