Skip header

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Testing


  1. Overview
  2. Restrictions
  3. Testing
  4. News and messages from the Council
  5. Council services
  6. Support for people
  7. Businesses
  8. Schools
  9. Outbreak Management Plan
  10. Volunteering - how you can help
  11. Public transport updates from Nexus

Got symptoms? Get a test 

If you have COVID-19 symptoms you must book a test. Tests are reserved for people who have COVID-19 symptoms.

The test may feel a bit uncomfortable, but it shouldn't hurt or be painful.

For advice on symptoms, self-isolating and more, visit NHS: Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Book a test on the Government website:

GOV.UK: Get a COVID-19 test

Where you can get a test in South Tyneside

Testing appointments are available for residents at:

Both test sites have a number of appointments available and increased capacity.

Local testing site in Jarrow 

The Department of Health and Social Care has opened a local COVID-19 testing site at the former Jarrow Library building on Monkton Road, Jarrow.

Read about the local testing sites.

Mobile testing units

Mobile testing units are in place at Temple Park Leisure Centre car park on 27 November, 1 to 4 December and 8 to 11 December.

Local testing site in South Shields

The Department of Health and Social Care is opening a local COVID-19 testing site in the car park of the Chuter Ede Community Association, South Shields. 

Read about the local testing sites.

Who can get a test

You should only get a test if you have symptoms of COVID-19.

If you develop symptoms of Covid-19 and someone you live with doesn't, they shouldn't get a test but should self-isolate. If they don't get symptoms, they could be asymptomatic. This means they could still spread the virus around but are not necessarily sick.


The COVID-19 tests in the UK are available to children. It is important children are tested if they have symptoms of COVID-19 as they are less likely to be wearing masks.

The at-home tests, which involve a nasal and throat swab, should be carried out by an adult on children aged 11 and under.

Getting a test for someone you live with

You can get a test for someone you live with if they have symptoms of Covid-19.

Government advice is that you shouldn't order tests for people you live with who do not have symptoms.

If you are worried about not getting paid if you need to self-isolate

If you're asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace and you're on a low income, unable to work from home and will lose income as a result, you may be able to get a payment of £500 from the Council.

Find out more about the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page