South Shields Market has started to reopen, with changes in place to help keep traders and shoppers safe.
Changes to the market
Following a risk assessment to make sure the market can open safely in line with government guidelines around social distancing and to help stop the spread of coronavirus, the following changes are in place:
- The market layout has been changed will stalls arranged in rows on the south side of the market square, in the space in front of The Word
- The market area will be enclosed with safety barriers, with separate entrance and exit points
- A one way system with markings on the ground is in place to help shoppers stay apart
- New signage
- Trader only areas
- Hand sanitiser stations
- Stewards are at the market to help advise and assist visitors to follow the new guidance
- No market stalls in the space between King Street and the Ferry terminal to create a clear route for pedestrians crossing the Market Place
Opening days and times
The traditional market is open on Saturdays, 9am to 4pm.
The Friday flea market will restart on Friday 26 June from 9.30am to 3pm.
The traditional Monday market will stay closed until further notice.
Visiting the market
If you are visiting the market, please follow social distancing rules and continue to follow the advice of Public Health England and practice good hygiene, use hand sanitiser and regular handwashing.
If you are showing any symptoms of coronavirus please do not visit and self-isolate at home.
Find out more about South Shields Market.
Guidance for market traders
To help keep visitors and market traders safe, view the guidance for market traders.