Skip header

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Businesses


  1. Overview
  2. Testing
  3. Support for people
  4. Businesses
  5. Vaccine
  6. News and messages from the Council
  7. Council services and schools
  8. Volunteering - how you can help


Omicron Hospitality and Leisure Grant

Businesses in the hospitality, leisure and accommodation sectors can apply for a one-off grant of up to £6000.

See Omicron Hospitality and Leisure Grant.

For Government advice, visit GOV.UK: Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19).

Working safely

GOV.UK: Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19)

Trade waste

If your business has reopened, please let us know to restart your waste collections. Please contact us at or by calling 019 427 7000.

Get in touch

If you've got a specific question, email us at

We will review your query and get back to you as quickly as possible.

Reporting cases and outbreaks

Guidance for employers around reporting cases and outbreaks, the latest information around self-isolation and support for employees is available at GOV.UK: NHS Test and Trace in the workplace - Guidance for employers.

If you have two or more linked cases in the workplace, email the Public Health team at

Local Outbreak Plan

South Tyneside Council's Local Outbreak Plan outlines how we intend to prevent and control outbreaks of COVID-19 in South Tyneside.

The plan includes details of arrangements in the case of an outbreak at a workplace.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak Management Plan

NHS Covid-19 Pass

Organisations must take reasonable steps to make sure that all visitors aged 18 or above show an NHS COVID Pass, or approved proof of vaccination, for example, a valid text or email confirmation of a recent test result or an exemption, to enter certain venue or events.

Venues and events where the NHS COVID Pass, or alternative proofs of COVID-19 status, must be used as a condition of entry are:

  • nightclubs, dancehalls and discotheques
  • other late night dance venues, where all of the following apply:
    • the venue is open between 1am and 5am
    • it serves alcohol after 1am
    • it has a dancefloor (or space for dancing)

For more information and examples of what is acceptable proof, see GOV.UK: Carrying out mandatory COVID-19 status checks at your venue or event.

Support hub

We have established a dedicated Business Support Hub, which can be contacted on 0191 481 3456 or by email at

For information about support, visit Invest South Tyneside: Business Support During Coronavirus.

Funding and grants for businesses

Omicron Small Business Hardship Grant

Omicron Hospitality and Leisure Grant (OHLG)

Shop Front Improvement Grant

Additional Restrictions Grant

Summary of grants paid

COVID-19 testing

The latest guidance and support around workplace asymptomatic testing is available at GOV.UK: Get coronavirus tests for your employees.

If you cannot provide testing, you can ask your employees to get a rapid lateral flow test at home or at a test site.

Do not use a rapid lateral flow test or go to a test site if you or your employees have symptoms.

Anyone with symptoms should order a PCR test and stay at home, except to go for a PCR test.

More about COVID-19 testing.

Face masks

Face coverings are now required by law in most indoor public places and on public transport, including taxis, unless you are exempt or have a reasonable excuse. For a list of places where you need to wear a face covering, see GOV.UK: When to wear a face covering.

There are enforcement measures in place for failing to comply with this law. See GOV.UK: Face coverings: Enforcement measures for failing to comply with this law.

Businesses can download a poster to display in their premises, to remind people to wear a face covering where they are legally required to do so. Download the poster at GOV.UK: Face covering poster.

Advice and guidance

Public Health England: Working Safely business toolkit

GOV.UK: Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19)

Outdoor structures and seating

Pavement licence (outdoor seating)

Care provider information

Taxi licensing information

How to report inflated pricing

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page