Disruptions to Council services (last updated 5.35pm, Friday 27 March 2020)
South Tyneside Council is continuing to monitor the situation closely, and follow national and regional advice.
We will update this page with details of disruptions to Council services.
You can also follow South Tyneside Council on Facebook for the latest updates.
Bins and recycling
Births, deaths and marriages
- Emergency business grants are available to a significant number of small and medium-sized businesses
- Business rates for the coming financial year will be waived for those in receipt of small business rate relief and all businesses within the retail, hospitality and leisure sector. Qualifying businesses will be advised shortly.
- We are processing payment to suppliers of Council goods and services as quickly as possible
- Business incubators and business centres are closed, except for a small number of businesses who service the health sector
Care and health
- Council meetings: All Council and Scrutiny committee meetings have been stood down until further notice. This does not include statutory, business-critical meetings (Cabinet, Planning and Licensing meetings) which will go ahead when needed.
- Ward surgeries: South Tyneside Council is recommending that Elected Members cancel all ward surgeries until further notice, you can still contact your local ward councillor by phone or email.
- Community Area Forums (CAFs) are cancelled until further notice.
- All working age residents currently in receipt of Council Tax Support will receive an additional £150 reduction in their Council Tax Bill, with no further payment due until 1st October 2020.
- Cash kiosks are closed until further notice
Leisure, libraries, parks
Planning and environment
Parking and roads
- All on-street and off-street Council car parking charges have been removed
- We are still filling dangerous potholes and repairing dangerous defects
- Routine programmed non-safety works have all been suspended and made safe
Schools and learning
South Tyneside Homes