What is Selective Licensing?
A Selective Licence means that all landlords with any privately rented properties in a selected area will need a licence for these properties.
Selective Licensing will be introduced if the Council is satisfied that the selected area has at least one of the following issues:
- low demand
- significant or persistent problems caused by anti-social behaviour
- poor housing condition
- significant occupation of properties by migrants
- high levels of deprivation
- high levels of crime
Introducing a Selective Licensing scheme will help to improve these issues.
All privately rented properties within the proposed areas would need a Selective Licence.
Why introduce Selective Licensing?
Privately rented housing has grown considerably within South Tyneside over the last 15 years.
The private rented sector is an important part of providing a diverse housing in the Borough, so it is important that the properties:
- are of a good standard
- are well managed
- help add to a well-rounded housing offer
We hope that introducing Selective Licensing will help to:
- reduce anti-social behaviour and crime
- encourage landlords to act professionally
- improve the quality and management of properties
- make sure landlords and agents are readily identifiable
- protect vulnerable groups in privately rented accommodation
About the consultation
We are consulting on a proposed Selective Licensing scheme for privately rented residential properties in two areas of South Tyneside.
The scheme will impact approximately 3,000 properties in the:
- Beacon and Bents ward
- Simonside and Rekendyke ward
- Westoe ward
The scheme will help to improve the management and standards of privately rented properties in the Borough.
The consultation will run from Wednesday 15 January 2020 until Wednesday 25 March 2020.
How can I have my say?
If you have any feedback or comments please email email@example.com or contact the Housing Strategy Team on 0191 424 7963 before the consultation ends on Wednesday 25 March 2020.
How can I find out more about the scheme?
There will be four drop-in events taking place where you can find out about the proposed scheme areas and ask questions about the scheme. We would encourage you to come along to one of these sessions:
Ocean Road Community Centre, Ocean Road, South Shields, NE33 2DW
- Wednesday 5 February, 2pm to 8pm at Ocean Road Community Centre
- Thursday 5 March, 2pm to 8pm at Ocean Road Community Centre
Living Waters Church, St Jude's Terrace, Laygate, South Shields, NE33 5PB
- Thursday 6 February, 2pm to 8pm at Living Waters Church
- Wednesday 4 March, 2pm to 8pm at Living Waters Church
There will also be hard copies of all the documentation available in the reception area at South Shields Town Hall.
More information about the scheme is available in our frequently asked questions.
Proposed Selective Licensing areas and streets
The proposed Selective Licensing scheme will affect the below areas and streets in South Tyneside.
Beach Road area
View the boundary map of the Beach Road area1.99MB
- Anderson Street (Church House only)
- Beach Road
- Beethoven Street
- Belgrave Terrace
- Bents Park Road (No.2 & 8)
- Berkely Street
- Bolingbroke Street
- Bright Street
- Broughton Road
- Burleigh Street
- Candlish Street
- Dale Street (No. 157, Flats 1 to 3)
- Derby Terrace (No 1 and 2)
- Dunelm Street
- Eastbourne Grove
- Eleanor Street (No. 61 to 72)
- Elizabeth Street (No. 1 to 2)
- Erskine Road
- Graham Street
- Handel Street
- Hyde Street
- Ladysmith Street
- Lyndhurst Street
- Marine Approach
- Mozart Street
- Robinson Street (No. 2 and 4)
- Romilly Street
- Rosa Street
- Salisbury Place (No. 1, 2 to 16 even)
- Salisbury Street
- Seafield Terrace
- Seaview Terrace
- Selbourne Street
- South Woodbine Street
- Spohr Terrace (odd only)
- Sydenham Terrace
- Tennyson Street
- Westoe Road (No. 12 to 34 even, 35 to 80, 81 to 109 odd)
- Wharton Street
- Wouldhave Street
Long Streets area
View the Boundary map of Long Streets area1.87MB
- Alice Street
- Barehirst Street
- Barnes Road
- Beaufront Terrace
- Bertram Street
- Chichester Road (No. 1 to 109 odd, 2 to 90 even)
- Corney Street
- Coverdale Walk
- Dacre Street
- Dean Road (No. 212 to 450 even, 207 to 379 odd)
- Dean Terrace
- Derwentwater Terrace
- Devonshire Street
- Eglesfield Road
- Gilbert Street
- Greathead Street
- John Williamson Street
- Johnson Street
- Laygate (No. 158 to 178 even, 277 to 339 odd)
- Malvern Street
- Marshall Wallis Road
- Milton Street
- Reed Street (No. 30 to 61)
- St Judes Terrace
- St Marys Terrace
- Shakespeare Street (No. 2 and 4)
- South Eldon Street (No. 255 to 311 odd, 376 to 418 even)
- South Frederick Street
- Temple Street
- Thornton Avenue
- West George Potts Street
- West Stevenson Street (No. 1 to 3)
- Wharfdale Drive
- Whitehead Street (No. 1 to 19)
Proposed licence fees
The cost of a Selective Licence will be approximately £550 per property for the 5 year designation.
The fee is payable over 2 parts:
- You will need to pay £150 when you apply for a licence
- The remaining £400 will need to be paid once the licence has been approved
Proposed licence conditions
As a licence holder you must keep to the Selective Licensing conditions.
View the proposed Selective Licensing conditions