Skip header

Mental health support for children and young people


  1. Overview
  2. When to ask for help
  3. Online advice from the NHS
  4. Helplines and useful websites
  5. Speak to someone you trust
  6. Online counselling and advice for people aged 11 to 25
  7. Support in school
  8. Support outside of school
  9. Who to contact in an emergency


Having good mental health and emotional wellbeing means that:

  • you have a positive state of mind and body
  • you feel able to cope and have good connections with other people and your community

Mental health and emotional wellbeing is just as important as physical health.

Sometimes, you may feel sad or worried and you might need some extra help. There are lots of resources that can support you, or help you to support a young person close to you.


When to ask for help

You should ask for help if:

  • you are feeling overwhelmed
  • you are struggling to cope
  • you are feeling stressed, anxious, tense or depressed
  • the way you are feeling is impacting on relationships, school or life generally
  • your feelings are having a big impact on other people
  • the way you are feeling is stopping you from doing things

Self-help tools, helplines, or talking to your friends and family may help you to feel better and more able to cope.

However, if your feelings are troubling you, or affecting your day to day life for a long time, you may need to ask for help.

If you are concerned about the mental health of a child or young person who you are close to, you can ask for help on their behalf.

Online advice from the NHS

The Moodzone website has been developed by the NHS to help you with stress, anxiety, depression, or the general ups and downs of everyday life. It offers you practical advice, interactive tools, videos and audio guides to help you feel mentally and emotionally better.

Visit NHS: Moodzone

Helplines and useful websites

For more mental health helplines and resources, visit the NHS website.

All libraries in South Tyneside have a section for books about mental health and wellbeing, where you can read more about what mental health is, and get advice about ways to look after your mental health. Find your nearest library.

Speak to someone you trust

If you feel like you are struggling, speak to:

  • a friend
  • a family member
  • a teacher
  • another trusted adult

Talking through how you are feeling can help you release tension, rather than keeping your feelings bottled up. It can also help you to feel more connected with people. 

Don't feel embarrassed talking about mental health. Remember that 1 in 4 of us will experience a mental health problem each year; it is very common to experience a problem with your mental health.

Online counselling and advice for people aged 11 to 25

Anyone in South Tyneside who is aged 11 to 25 can use the Kooth website, which is an award winning online counselling and support service. It is a safe, confidential and anonymous way for you get emotional wellbeing and mental health support.

Find out more about Kooth.

Support in school

Mental Health Champions

Every school in South Tyneside has at least one Mental Health Champion.

A Mental Health Champion is a trusted adult in school, who you can talk to about how you are feeling or anything you are worried about.

They have had specialist training to make sure they can offer advice and help. If they can't help you themselves, they know how to get you the right support.

Mental Health Champions offer help confidentially. Anything you say to your Mental Health Champion won't be passed on unless you or someone you know is being hurt or is likely to be hurt.

All Mental Health Champions wear a yellow lanyard with the words 'Mental Health Champion'.

Each school also has a person to contact within the Lifecycle Service, for more advice and information if you need it.

Healthy Minds Teams

The Healthy Minds Teams offer advice and support to all students in South Tyneside.

They can help you understand how to:

  • keep your mind healthy
  • develop positive strategies around emotional wellbeing and mental health

They organise things like:

  • assemblies
  • information sessions
  • more support if you or your teacher feel like you would benefit from it

If you or your teacher feel that you would benefit from more support, the team can offer therapeutic support in one to one or group sessions at your school or college. This support can be helpful if you are feeling depressed or anxious, or if you are facing challenges with other things like self-confidence, stress or body image.

Support outside of school

Contact the Lifecycle Service

The Lifecycle Service is a single point of contact for anyone living in South Tyneside who is experiencing mental health issues.

You can contact Lifecycle directly, and they will make sure that you get support from the best place.

If you are 16 or over, you can contact Lifecycle yourself. If you are under 16, please ask a parent or carer to contact them for you.

Find out what the service offers and how to contact them, at Lifecycle Service.

Children and Young People's Mental Health Service (CYPS)

If the Lifecycle Service thinks that you would benefit from different support, they will get help for you from the Children and Young People's Service (CYPS).

Help with drugs and alcohol

The Matrix service provides help, support and advice for people under 18 and their families and carers in South Tyneside, whose lives have been affected by drug and alcohol misuse.  

Young people who use this service also have access to mental health support and advice.

Read more about the Matrix Service.

Who to contact in an emergency

If you are concerned about your mental health, but you do not think you will harm yourself or others, contact the Lifecycle Service.

Harming yourself or others

If you think you might harm yourself or others, contact the Intensive Community Treatment Service (ICTS).


If you or someone you know has taken an overdose, they need to go directly to their nearest Accident and Emergency department. See NHS: Find nearest Accident and Emergency services.

Abuse or neglect

If you are concerned about your safety, or someone else's safety, because of abuse, neglect or exploitation, see:

Report a concern about a child

Report a concern about an adult

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page