Skip header

Overlapping payments on two homes (Housing Benefit)

Can I get help if I have to pay rent on my old and new home?

Housing Benefit is normally only paid on one home - the one at which you live. This is because most people should be able to plan a move in advance.

In a few exceptional cases benefit may be paid on two homes.

When can payment on two homes be made?


A person has moved into their new house and they could not reasonably have avoided liability in respect of both of them.

In such cases the authority may be able to treat the claimant as occupying both properties as a home for up to a maximum period of four benefit weeks and therefore may be entitled to benefit on both of them.

For more information visit Shelter - Housing benefit for two homes

When can I claim overlapping benefit?

To claim overlapping benefit you must have moved into your new property.

Overlapping benefit will be paid at your old address.

How do I apply for benefit on two homes?

To apply for overlapping benefit you must contact us giving your reasons why you need overlapping benefit and provide proof of the date your rent has been charged up to at your old home.

Contact the Benefits team 


Call: 0191 424 4333

How would you rate the information on this page?

  • Benefits
  • Hawthorne
    Rolling Mill Road
    Viking Industrial Park
    Tyne and Wear
    United Kingdom
    NE32 3DP

  • 0191 424 4333

Share this page