Pupil Premium Plus is available to children who have been adopted.
Pupil Premium Plus is available for children:
- that were adopted from care in England and Wales
- who left care under a Residence Order / Child Arrangement Order
- who left care under a Special Guardianship Order
From reception to year 11, schools currently receive £1,900 per child per year.
In order for schools to access the funding, you must declare your child's adoptive status directly to the school before the school completes the January census. If you are a parent you must provide evidence (e.g Adoption Order).
You should not need to declare your child's status again until your child changes school.
How is Pupil Premium Plus used?
The Department for Education has said that it intends for the funding to be spent on helping adopted children emotionally, socially and educationally by providing support to raise their attainment and address their wider needs.
Effective use of Pupil Premium should tailor interventions to meet individual needs through systematic tracking or progress.
The use of Pupil Premium must be mentioned on the school's website.
Some suggested uses of Pupil Premium Plus are:
- 1:1 tuition
- Small group targeted intervention
- Academic mentor
- Education focused trips and visits
- Purchase of specialist equipment to promote academic progress
- Study and revision classes
- Additional TA support
It is the responsibility of the school to use and target the money appropriately, but it is helpful to discuss with parents their suggested uses of Pupil Premium money to support their child.