Skip header

In year school admissions

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Appeals for most schools in South Tyneside have restarted and appeal hearings will take place remotely until further notice.

Read more about school admissions and appeals for school places

In year admissions are those that occur other than at the normal time of entry to school.


  1. Before you submit your application
  2. How to apply
  3. Will a move really be in my child's best interest?
  4. Bullying in schools
  5. How it works

Before you submit your application

  • Applications must be made within 2 months of the move. South Tyneside Council is unable to process applications for schools where the date that the place is required from, is more than 2 months from the date of the application (Service and Crown Personnel are exempt).
  • Only complete an application if you have parental responsibility for the child. Where two adults have shared responsibility for a child, they should agree which schools to name as their preferred schools and the order of preferences (before submitting the application). If parents fail to agree on preferred schools and two applications are received for the same child from the same parents, then the Council may decide to put a hold on both applications, reducing the chances of that child gaining a place at a school.
  • Your child must continue to attend their current school whilst your application is being considered.
  • If your child is transferring from one South Tyneside school to another, the child's current Head Teacher must sign your transfer form before you submit it. If you are moving into the area, this is not needed.

How to apply

  1. Complete the In Year Transfer Application form 2020257.05KB
  2. Return the form to: School Admissions Team, Town Hall and Civic Offices, Westoe Road, South Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 2RL. 

You can submit only one application form for consideration. You may express up to three preferences (we strongly advise that you name more than one school).

If you need to speak to someone about school admissions, please contact the School Admissions team on 0191 424 7767 / 0191 424 7706 or

Will a move really be in my child's best interest?

In the case of house moves or exclusion, a move of schools may be unavoidable. At other times your application to change a child's school will need careful consideration. It is vital that parents consider the effect on their child(ren) if they are considering changing schools. 

The last two years of Secondary School (years 10 and 11), when pupils prepare for their GCSE and other public examinations, are particularly important. It is generally considered that changing schools at this stage should be avoided if possible, because it might have a damaging effect on the examination results a pupil may achieve. 

At public examination level, schools do not always offer the same combination of subjects and syllabi. Examination requirements can also differ as schools do not all use the same examination boards. Problems may arise in subjects involving course work that must be sent to examination boards by set dates, and pupils who have not completed essential course work may be unable to complete the examination.

Sometimes a change is considered because there has been a disagreement between the parents or child(ren) and school. There are very few differences that cannot be resolved if an issue is discussed openly and reasonably between the school and parent. The Youth Support Service can also be contacted to help parents resolve difficulties. Parents are encouraged to settle any differences with schools and only move their child(ren) to another school as a last resort.

Bullying in schools

It is a statutory responsibility for all schools to have an anti-bullying policy. This policy will explain how they will respond to all reported incidents. 

If you are worried or concerned about bullying issues, or your child has reported bullying to you, it is important that you contact the Head Teacher of the school. The Head Teacher will make sure a member of staff follows up your enquiry, as outlined in the school's policy. 

Schools will endeavour to meet with you to discuss your concerns so that they can work with you and your child to resolve the issues. If the matter remains unresolved, the next step would be to refer the matter through the school's complaints procedure, which would involve the school's governing body. 

How it works

The same admission arrangements apply to children moving between schools as those starting for the first time, and admission is dependent on the availability of places. 

If there are places available, the start date may not be immediate and would normally be within 20 school days. If a school is going through an organisational change, and increased numbers of pupils are moving to a different school, pupils will be admitted to the new school at the start of each half term. In general it is unwise to withdraw a child from one school before you have made satisfactory arrangements for admission to another and it is expected that your child will continue to attend his/her current school. 

If the year group is full you will be informed of your right to appeal to the Independent Appeals Panel.

Child's address

When considering an application for a school place, the address of the parent / carer with whom the child normally lives for the majority of the time will be taken into account. 

If the address on your application form is not your child's normal address, you must provide a Residence Order, issued by a court, if you wish that address to be considered. You should be aware that each Admission Authority reserves the right to seek proof of address and to withdraw an offer of a place, if inaccurate information or address is given on the application form. 

If you change your address after the submission of the form you must contact us in writing immediately, we may ask for proof of your new address.

Families applying from overseas

Families who currently live overseas can make an application. But, this will be based upon their current residence and they may be asked to provide more information to confirm their return to the UK.

Asylum seekers and refugees

Please be aware, if you tick the refugee box, information may be shared with other agencies. This is to make sure your needs are met and you get any support which you may need.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page