About the team
For over 15 years, South Tyneside Council's Asset Management Asbestos team has delivered continuous exceptional service, and helped to create and maintain a safe environment for our service users, clients and stakeholders.
We have extensive experience managing asbestos and helping tenants and duty holders stay compliant with government regulations, in a wide range of commercial and domestic buildings, such as; schools, civic buildings, community centres, leisure centres, factory and retail units, social care buildings and private dwellings.
We have the experience and expertise to provide safe solutions for all aspects of asbestos management, building a reputation that clients can trust.
Get a quote
We offer very competitive quotes. If you would like to book one of our services, or if you're after advice about what we can offer your business, call us on 0191 427 7000 or enquire online:
Make an enquiry
Services we can offer your business:
Bulk samples and laboratory analysis
We can collect materials that you suspect may contain asbestos, analyse the materials, and provide you with the findings.
How it works:
- One of our experienced, qualified asbestos surveyors will take bulk samples of the materials
- The samples will be analysed in a laboratory to determine the asbestos content
- You will then get an analysis certificate of the findings
Surveys and assessments
We offer a range of services including:
- full asbestos surveys
- non-intrusive management surveys
- intrusive refurbishment surveys
It is a legal requirement to undertake a suitable and sufficient asbestos assessment before allowing any contractors and tradesmen to start works.
Asbestos management surveys:
- help you to maintain asbestos in your premises and help you comply with asbestos regulations
- provide accurate information about the location, condition, quantity and type of any asbestos containing materials (ACMs)
Pre-refurbishment or demolition surveys:
- are used to locate and describe, as far as reasonably practicable, all ACMs within the building or area which may be affected during the proposed works
- involve a degree of intrusive inspection, as necessary, to gain access to all areas
- require time to make the surveyor arrangements, conduct the survey, carry out the sample analysis and then issue the report (which may affect the works programme and Risk and Method Statement of the contractors)
- all survey reports will include full material assessments, photographs, floor plans and laboratory analysis certificate
We can provide asbestos project management services to make sure all parties achieve the desired outcome.
This might include the safe repair or removal of asbestos containing materials (ACMs), working with various licenced contractors and analytical firms.
This work requires specialist knowledge and the use of either licenced or non-licenced contractors.
We have significant experience in providing project management services for asbestos removal and abatement projects for a range of customers both in the private and public sectors. This experience enables us to provide a service which ensures that the job is completed to the highest of professional standards.
Our asbestos project management services include:
- The full range of asbestos abatement services, from basic analytical support to full project management
- Act as Client and / or Principle Designers (under CDM Regulations 2015)
- Production of technical specifications for repair, maintenance and / or removal
- Contractor evaluations and tender assessments
- Contract liaison with Client / Client Team, CDM Principle Designers, Principal Contractors and sub-contractors
- Full 'single point' project management whereby we act on behalf of the Client to fully comply with the roles and responsibilities as defined in CDM Regulations 2015
Site management (from design to completion)
We offer supervision and management of all site-based staff employed by the company, to make sure that the project is delivered within their contractual obligations.
- Advise and assist in overall planning
- Plan and coordinate resources
- Monitor and control progress and quality
- Communicate with the Consultant team
- Provide feedback and reports to the client
- Ensure that all aspects of the project are carried out in accordance with statutory requirements, and company policy
- Make site audits to ensure compliance with regulations
- Inspect risk assessments and method statements
We offer reliable, safe and responsible asbestos removal through our trusted contractor framework, as part of our project management services.
To help maintain quality and confidence, our removal and analytical partners undergo strict site and documentation review before approval, to make sure any subcontracted asbestos removal services meet our strict quality standards. Our asbestos removal and analytical partners understand how we work and the quality that is expected.
Asbestos Management Plans
An Asbestos Management Plan is a legal requirement for non-domestic properties.
The Plan helps building owners and tenants to manage the risks from asbestos containing materials (ACMs) identified within a property.
It outlines the policies and procedures to effectively manage and minimise the risks posed by asbestos within a building.
Our Asbestos Management Plans are prepared in compliance with current legislation, Approved Codes of Practice and relevant Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance documents, and will address any risks specific to the property.
On completion of an asbestos survey or assessment, a register to record the location and risk of the asbestos containing materials (ACMs) will be produced. This is a legal requirement.
The asbestos register is user-friendly and will be developed so that any staff or contractors working within the building can read the register to identify risks of disturbing ACMs.
To help keep your Asbestos Management Plan and asbestos register up to date, we offer a re-inspection service which includes:
- A thorough visual inspection of ACMs identified on the asbestos survey or previous inspection
- Updates to priority risk assessments which will be recorded and added to your asbestos register
- Recommendations for any additional control measures that may be required
- Checks of asbestos warning labels and replacements in line with your labelling protocols
Asbestos awareness training is essential and legally required for all workers that may disturb asbestos whilst at work.
It is the employer's responsibility to provide adequate information, instruction and training to those workers.
The Asset Management Asbestos team has UKATA accredited membership for Asbestos Awareness Training. This training will help you stay compliant with current legislation and help employees stay safe when at work.
Asbestos guidance and regulations
For more information about asbestos guidance and regulations, go to: