Skip header

Child employment, chaperones and children in entertainment

Part-time work for school age children

Part-time work can improve your confidence, provide valuable experience and earn you some money.

What do I need to know?

  • you must be at least 13 years old to work part-time  
  • any job must be done outside of school hours
  • it must not affect your studies or mean you miss school
  • you must have a work permit if you are still of school age *

* School age is right up until the last Friday in June of Year 11 - even if you are already 16 or have a National Insurance Number.

Child employment laws

The are laws in place that apply to employing school aged children. These include:

  • how old a child needs to be before they can be legally employed
  • where a child can legally work
  • what type of work is prohibited
  • hours of employment
  • work permits
  • offences
  • health and safety requirements

For more detailed information about child employment laws, see GOV.UK: Child employment and entertainment guidance

If you are interested in part-time work, your parent/guardian and employer must sign a child employment application form45.52KB.

Information for chaperones

If you wish to look after a young person taking part in a performance, and you are not the parent or guardian, you are legally required to get a licence. A chaperone is acting in "loco parentis" and should exercise the care which a good parent might be reasonably expected to give that child.

To get a licence, you must be 18 years old or over.

For more information about the role, duties and responsibilities of a chaperone and to fill out an application form, see chaperone information and application pack95KB

To request a Disclosure & Barring Service application, please contact:

Child Employment Officer
Services For Young People
Level 1
Town Hall and Civic Offices
South Shields
NE33 2RL

Phone: 0191 424 7400

Once you have completed and returned your application to us, we'll need to get:

  • A disclosure and barring enhanced disclosure, which will need to be presented at South Shields Town Hall within two weeks of receiving it before a Chaperone License can be issued (A fee is payable for the Enhanced DBS check plus an administration charge. It can take up to 6 weeks to process your application. This cost will not be applied if the applicant is a volunteer.)
  • Two references
  • An up to date safeguarding certificate. If you don't have one you will be required to register and complete the e-learning safeguarding module "An Introduction to Safeguarding".  To register, please see Safeguarding training.

Children in entertainment

Many children enjoy performing:

  • on stage
  • in films
  • on TV
  • as models
  • in sport

Parents are usually very supportive, but laws exist to protect the children's welfare and prevent them from being exploited.

The person responsible for the production in which the child is to take part, must apply to the Local Authority in which the child lives for a Child Performance Licence.

To apply for a child performance licence, see child performance and activities license application form46.81KB

List of children taking part in a performance19.0KB

Notification of a performance under body of person approval35.0KB

Application for a body of persons exemption36.35KB

Contract of agreement38.52KB

To find out more, contact:

Child Employment Officer
Services For Young People
Level 0 
Town Hall and Civic Offices
South Shields
NE33 2RL

Phone: 0191 424 7400

For further information, visit NNCEE


How would you rate the information on this page?

  • Services For Young People
  • Level 0, Town Hall & Civic Offices
    Westoe Road
    South Shields
    Tyne & Wear
    United Kingdom
    NE33 2RL

  • 01914247400

Share this page