Skip header

Information for landlords

Your chance to get your tax affairs up to date 

If you have been renting all or part of a property to tenants then you are a landlord and may be liable to pay tax on your rental profits.

The Let Property Campaign is for individual landlords letting out residential property (i.e. renting to tenants) in the UK or abroad who haven't declared all of their rental profit. The campaign provides an opportunity to voluntarily bring their tax affairs up to date in a quick and straightforward way.

What do I need to do?

If you are unsure if this affects you visit the Let Property Campaign 

HMRC has designed tools and guidance including Webinars, e-learning emails and videos for landlords, and online e-learning course to help you:

  • understand when and how to pay tax on property that you let out (i.e. rent to tenants)
  • check that you have calculated your rental income correctly
  • bring your tax affairs up to date
  • make the right decision about the action you need to take

What's in it for me as a landlord?

If HMRC starts an enquiry into your tax affairs before you have come forward, you will not be able to take part in the Let Property Campaign and you will not get the best terms available.

You may be charged penalties as high as 100% of the additional tax and interest due and there is even the risk of criminal prosecution.

If you are a Landlord and need further help, call the Let Property Campaign Helpline on 03000 514 479

Self Assessment tax returns

Leading up to 31 January 2017, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) are providing a variety of digital products to support customers who are completing their 2015-16 Self Assessment tax returns. These include:

  • Self Assessment help and support live sessions where customers can listen to live Q&A and submit questions themselves
  • Live webinars on completing the online self- assessment return including the Income from Property pages
  • Recorded webinars which can be accessed any time
  • A selection of e-learning packages including topics such as Business Expenses are designed specifically for businesses. 

There are also a range of short YouTube videos covering topics such as:

Details of all these products can be found at GOV.UK: Webinars and videos about Self Assessment

Landlord licences

If you are a landlord in South Tyneside and you rent out houses in multiple occupation, you will need a licence. Find out more about Houses in multiple occupation licence.

We are consulting on a proposed Selective Licensing scheme. If you are a private lanlord, you may need a Selective Licence. Find out more about the Selective Licensing scheme.

Electrical safety standards

New electrical safety regulations for landlords in the private rented sector come into force from Wednesday 1 July 2020.

Find out more at electrical safety standards in the private rented sector

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page