Composting is an inexpensive, natural process that transforms certain kitchen and garden waste into valuable and nutrient-rich food for your garden. Almost 30% of your uncooked vegetable waste and garden waste can be composted.
Composting is easy to make and also very good for the environment.
Benefits also include:
- improved balance and structure of your garden's soil
- savings, by reducing reliance on peat-based composts and man made fertilizers
- save space in your waste bin by reducing kitchen waste
- helping prevent needless amounts of your waste going to increasingly expensive landfill sites which produce greenhouse gases
- help prevent soil erosion and recycle nutrients back into your soil
- helps your garden grow
- over time it will breakdown into a healthy soil improver for your plants and shrubs
What can go in your compost bin
- Crushed egg shells
- Soft cardboard
- Fruit and vegetable peelings
- Grass cuttings
- Flowers, plants and weeds
- Twig and hedge clippings
- Tea bags
- Coffee grounds and coffee filter papers
- Pet and human hair
- Shredded paper
- Straw and hay
- Sawdust and wood shavings
- Pond algae and seaweed
Please put these items in your grey, household bin.
There are two different size compost bins available (220 litres and 330 litres) as well as other related products and accessories.
The compost bins are made from recycled plastic and come with a 10 year guarantee.
If you would like to buy a compost bin, or would like more information about home composting, call 0845 130 6090 or www.getcomposting.com
The price of the compost bins for South Tyneside residents are offered at a discounted rate compared to the normal retail price, and start from as little as £17.98 (excluding delivery at £5.99).