Skip header

New Lease Of Life For Listed Building

A Grade Two listed building closely linked to the shipbuilding past of Hebburn has been given a new lease of life.

The former boys and girls school, which stands next to St Andrew's Church was built at a cost of £10,000 in 1872 by Andrew Leslie founder of the nearby Hawthorn Leslie shipyard.

The building which served the shipbuilding community as a school for many decades has since had numerous uses including a community centre and industrial units. It stood empty for two years until it was taken over to provide a new community use.

The building has been converted into modern accessible office accommodation for the Community Mental Health Centre in Campbell Park Road.

The £430,000 refurbishment project has been jointly funded by South Tyneside Council's capital works programme and central government. The scheme has been designed by the Council's in-house consultancy team and the contract has been carried out by Dorin Construction of Newcastle.

Pres/soc.care&hlth/tpfpr838ck

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page