Skip header

Community Care Can Help With Short Breaks And Holidays

Two types of help with short breaks and holidays are now available to people in South Tyneside from the Council's Social Care and Health Directorate.

Short breaks and respite care services are aimed at people who need a period away from home either to give themselves a break from coping independently, or to give their carers a break.

People who apply for this help receive a Community Care Assessment and need to meet the Social Services eligibility criteria. They have to pay a charge, but the amount of help offered is based on the assessed need.

The help that is offered can be:

  • A period or periods away in a residential or nursing home. A voucher scheme exists to enable people to have flexibility and choice in making the arrangements.
  • A package of support to stay at home while a carer is away.
  • Sitting services.
  • A direct payment to enable the person to arrange a break for themselves, either in South Tyneside or somewhere else.

Help with a holiday can be provided either through:

  • A direct payment of a grant towards the cost of a holiday. Normally this will not exceed £100 per person per annum.
  • A grant to a voluntary sector or community organisation organising holidays for a group of people.
  • Arrangements made by Social Services staff for people who attend day services or who live in supported housing schemes, to go on small group holidays together.
  • To be eligible for help with a holiday, people must meet the following eligibility criteria: They are aged over 65 years old or have a learning disability or a physical disability.
  • The holiday is aimed specifically at people who have no other holiday alternative and who do not receive respite care from any other service.
  • They must have been assessed as meeting Social Services eligibility criteria in order to receive a service.
  • They are in receipt of middle rate Disability Living Allowance (care component and mobility) or Attendance Allowance.

Anyone who feels that they meet the criteria and need help of this kind should contact either a member of staff in their local day centre or the Community Care duty service at Kelly House, Campbell Park Road, Hebburn, Tyne & Wear NE31 2SW. Tel: 427 1717.

Pres/ ends

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page