The Improving Communities Board focuses on the following strategic outcomes set out in the South Tyneside Vision:
"Better Housing and Neighbourhoods"
"A Clean and Green environment"
"Less Crime and Safer Communities"
The Board will achieve these outcomes though the following objectives:
- Coordinated investment in neighbourhoods
- Integration of housing services
- Growth in the supply and mix of good quality housing
- Sufficient and suitable accommodation for older people
- Continuing to reduce crime & anti-social behaviour and increasing perceptions
- Reduction in the number of long term empty properties
- Improving access to schools, services and jobs
- Developing integrated community hubs
- Reducing waste to landfill, improving recycling rates and reducing our carbon footprint
The Improving Communities Board oversees two sub-groups, which will support the delivery of the Board's work programme to achieve the above objectives and maximise the outcomes set out in the South Tyneside Vision:
- 'Safer South Tyneside Partnership'
- 'Neighbourhood & Area Management'
The Safer South Tyneside Partnership fulfils the statutory requirements of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 and is responsible for the annual Strategic Assessment process and development of the Community Safety Partnership Plan.
The Improving Communities Board is chaired by Andrew Watts, Executive Director. John Hewitt,Corporate Director, Business and Resources, STC is the lead officer for the Board, and operational support is provided by Mark Jupp, Delivery Support Officer at South Tyneside Council.
Improving Communities Board members
Title / Organisation
(Chair) Executive Director, Groundwork
Cllr Alan Kerr
(Vice Chair) Deputy Leader, STC
Cllr Tracey Dixon
Lead Member, Area Management &Community Safety
Cllr Jim Foreman
Lead Member, Housing & Transport
Ch Supt Ian Dawes
South Tyneside Area Commander, Northumbria Police
South Tyneside District Manager, Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service
Corporate Director, Business and Resources, STC
|Mike Conlon||Head of Corporate & Commercial Services, STC|
Corporate Lead, Area Management, STC
Head of Development Services, STC
Senior Executive Director, South Tyneside Homes
Fares and Revenues Manager, NEXUS
BME rep (Chair of Regional Equality Forum)