Our responsibilities and your rights
We may need to collect personal information about you to provide our services. We also have a legal duty to collect personal information for certain purposes such as Council Tax collection.
The Data Protection Act 2018 and General Data Protection Regulation set out in law how we can and can't use your personal information.
South Tyneside Council is the Data Controller for your personal information. We are registered with the Information Commissioner's Office under registration reference Z5765988.
We have a legal responsibility to make sure that all data collected, obtained and processed receives the highest level of protection and is safeguarded from loss and unauthorised processing.
The Act provides you with certain rights:
- The right to be informed about what information is being processed about you
- The right to request access to your information
- The right to have inaccurate information rectified
- The right to have information held about you destroyed under certain circumstances
- The right to request the council restrict processing your personal information in certain circumstances
- The right to data portability
- The right to object to the council using your personal information
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling