Skip header

Where our funding comes from

We plan to spend £239.2m in 2022/23 to provide services for South Tyneside's residents, including £102.4m on education.

Most of our money comes from Government (around 72%) either through our revenue support grant, dedicated schools grant (funding for education), or from business rates. The remaining 28% of our money comes from the council taxpayers. We expect to receive council tax income of £68.0m in 2022/23.

Where we expect our money to come from in 2022/2023

Revenue funding £239.2m

  • Council Tax 28%
  • Revenue Support Grant 6.5%
  • Business rates 18.9%
  • Dedicated Schools Grant 42.8%
  • Contribution from Reserves/Collection Fund 3.4%
  • Parking revenues <1%

Business rates

The amount that local businesses pay is calculated by applying a multiplier set by the Government to the rateable value of the property.

The Government introduced a new system of accounting for Business Rates from 2013/14 in that the Council is now allowed to retain a proportion of Business Rates collected with Government Grant being reduced accordingly.

How would you rate the information on this page?

Share this page