Local Government elections are due to take place on 2 May 2019. Elections will be held in all 18 wards across South Tyneside. Please see the key dates for the elections below.
|Publication of Notice of Election||Friday 22 March|
|Poll cards will be delivered between||22 March - 28 March|
|Last day to register to vote||Friday 12 April|
|Last day to apply to vote by post||5pm Monday 15 April|
|Last day to apply to vote by proxy||5pm Wednesday 24 April|
|Polling day||Thursday 2 May 2019|
Standing as a candidate
Nomination packs will be available from the Elections Office, Town Hall, Westoe Road, South Shields, NE33 2RL from Monday 11 March.
Completed nomination papers must be returned to the office of the Returning Officer by 4pm on Wednesday 3 April.
For more information, please Contact the Elections Office.
Pre election period
The Local Government elections will be held on 2 May 2019. The local election process starts with the publication of a 'Notice of Election' on Friday 22 March. This triggers what is known as the pre-election period, which runs from 23 March until the day after Election Day.
The Department for Communities and Local Government has published a Code of Practice on Local Authority Publicity which requires that during this period the Council must be particularly careful about any publicity material or events. When involved in creating publicity material or arranging events or consultations, you should consider the following questions:
- Are you initiating publicity that refers to candidates and other politicians involved directly at the election?
- Does the publicity deal with controversial issues where there is a political difference of view?
- Does the publicity report views, proposals or recommendations in such a way that identifies them with individual politicians or political groups or parties?
If the answer to any of these questions is "yes" you should consider carefully whether the material should be published or the event take place during the pre-election period. There may be other issues that come up during this period, so if in doubt please ask.
For more information about the pre-election period please go to Local Government Association: What purdah means in practice.
- Joanne Gelson (Elections) 424 7169
- Mike Harding (Legal) 424 7009
- Communications Team - 424 7463